How important is the VIDEOCARD to my AUDIO computer???

Proveras

I like my recordings.
I will Buy a new computer,
can I use my old 2mbs videocard,
or you recomend me to buy the 8mbs videocard??
ITS JUST FOR AUDIO APLICATIONS.

the videocards take the memory from your computer:
128 RAM - 8 VC = 120 RAM

thanks for your replys.

???

Maybe an integrated video card may take memory away, but a
AGP or PCI slot video card contains it's own memory.

A 2MB card may be a bit slow for most modern audio software. I would get a 8MB card to stay a bit on the excessive side for now. I used to use a 4mb card which barely kept up, so 8mb should be good enough for now. But video cards are getting cheap. You should be able to find a 32mb card on sale for $100 or less, and they sure make NT 4's Pinball game work much better! :)

Ed

A video card has two functions - 2D display (the windows desktop) and 3D display (i.e. games). Any memory over 8 meg (and in most cases over 4 meg) on a video card is for 3D functions only. So a 2 meg might be OK. If you are going to run in a high screen resolution (1024x768 or better) you would have to limit yourself to 256 colors.

However with RAM being so cheap, all new video cards coming out have 8, 16, 32 or more megs of video RAM. These cards are generally faster in 2D diplays just because the chipsets are newer.

I would suggest that for an older model PC without a AGP slot your 2 meg card would be fine. But if you are buying a new unit, get a new AGP card. You will find that even the cheap one have 8 megs or more of RAM. An if the unit you are looking has a built-in Video display that "shares" its RAM with the Video display, DON'T BUY IT. Only the cheapest home systems work this way, and it's indicative of headaches to come.

Don't get a sound card with S3 drivers on it they can conflict with some recording programs .I found out the hard way! some graphics problems can appear as sound problems.
crackles ,noise when opening drop screens , using effects, etc etc..

Back