How to hook a mixer/amplifier into computer?

Morning Mark. Ok, I was under the impression that he wanted to preserve the "thru" signal?

Whatever, he should have enough info by now to do what he needs.

Dave.

If he wants to learn by doing, don't ask, do. If he wants to take the shortcut and get the "right" answer right away, it's "get an interface". Going online for advice on how to do it wrong makes no sense. Strike that. Advising how to use that hardware for that application doesn't necessarily help the OP.

It's not the advice provided, it's the snark in the responses I find troubling. He needed a mic preamp, he found something that is effectively a (poor) mic preamp and asked how to get it to work with his computer setup. Your response, for example, was not helpful at all aside from perhaps trying to make the OP feel foolish for asking(?).

Question: I've got two old bicycles and a lawnmower. How do I build a decent car out of these parts?

Answer: Buy a car.

In the same way you perhaps don't like me calling you on it they would likely not take kindly to your veiled insult(s).

I agree.
I learned what little I know my messing around with the gear I could find.
When I didn't understand I asked and learned.
Sometimes I learned that it was a waste of time, in terms of my original goal, but I came away with new information and understanding.

I don't agree with the assertion that you shouldn't ask for help if you want to do it yourself.
In fact...What's the point of HR if that's the case?

It's not the advice provided, it's the snark in the responses I find troubling. He needed a mic preamp, he found something that is effectively a (poor) mic preamp and asked how to get it to work with his computer setup. Your response, for example, was not helpful at all aside from perhaps trying to make the OP feel foolish for asking(?).

No, I think asking for help was a good thing. I also think we, including me, could have asked earlier in the thread what his goals and interests were so we, including me, could address his needs. Was he really trying to do some recording or just experimenting with gear? I still don't know. You addressed both, which was a good solution, but I'd like to know what his actual intent is.

In the same way you perhaps don't like me calling you on it they would likely not take kindly to your veiled insult(s).

Insult wasn't so much the intent as clarity and illustration. But it was pretty strong so you have a point.

Back