How to get that glitchy complex sound in a song?

Vamecx

So most of my songs are generally very simple when it comes to tracks, they're never that exciting. I usually never have more than 10 tracks that are all featured throughout the song. Which would be okay for rock music, but when I'm making electronic music, I feel like it's sort of boring. I want my songs to sound complex and glitchy, such as the theme song from Skins: skins theme tune - fat segal (series 1 and 2) - YouTube. That song sounds like it has 100 different tracks that each only play for a few seconds, like he has a bunch of samples mashed together that are all in the same key. But if I try to do something similar, I just blank out and I have no idea what to do, and it usually ends up sounding like crap. It's a similar sort of complexity that you can hear in sort of dubsteppy music as well.

So does anyone have any advice or help to get that sort of glitchy complex, yet upbeat and melodic sound? Thanks! :)

The Beatles were doing trippy stuff like this in the 60's and since then it's been discussed and analyzed to death. Why not read up on what they did back then -with much more primitive gear I might add - as a basis for working out how to do it yourself today.

Tim

So most of my songs are generally very simple when it comes to tracks, they're never that exciting. I usually never have more than 10 tracks that are all featured throughout the song. Which would be okay for rock music, but when I'm making electronic music, I feel like it's sort of boring. I want my songs to sound complex and glitchy, such as the theme song from Skins: skins theme tune - fat segal (series 1 and 2) - YouTube. That song sounds like it has 100 different tracks that each only play for a few seconds, like he has a bunch of samples mashed together that are all in the same key. But if I try to do something similar, I just blank out and I have no idea what to do, and it usually ends up sounding like crap. It's a similar sort of complexity that you can hear in sort of dubsteppy music as well.

So does anyone have any advice or help to get that sort of glitchy complex, yet upbeat and melodic sound? Thanks! :)

After listening to pretty simple tune in link...

Well, you need a midi editor/ sequencer triggering a decent soft synth. Throw in some drum loops..add some fx.

It's very achievable ,what DAW are you using ?

Get this FREE VST effect pluging and add it with fervour to your rock tracks. Will really twist them up. ;)

Funnily enough, its called GLITCH.

Free VST Plugins: Glitch VST

The Beatles were doing trippy stuff like this in the 60's and since then it's been discussed and analyzed to death. Why not read up on what they did back then -with much more primitive gear I might add - as a basis for working out how to do it yourself today.

Tim
That would be a good idea, thanks! I'll have to Google up some things.

After listening to pretty simple tune in link...
Well, you need a midi editor/ sequencer triggering a decent soft synth. Throw in some drum loops..add some fx.

It's very achievable ,what DAW are you using ?
Get this FREE VST effect pluging and add it with fervour to your rock tracks. Will really twist them up. ;)
Funnily enough, its called GLITCH.
Free VST Plugins: Glitch VST
This all still quite confuses me. I'm using Ableton Live 8.2.2. And I actually have that VST, I got it a while back. But it was sort of confusing how it worked and I felt like it wasn't too customizable in a sense, but I will definitely re-work with that.

Back