How to force my 24-bit interface to 16-bit?

brand0nized

A program I'm using requires my sound processing to be 16-bit, otherwise it won't recognize my interface. The only option I get in the sound panel is 24-bit. Is there a way to force my interface into 16-bit?

There might be, if you told us what the interface is... and what the program is, what the "sound panel" is and what you're trying to do.

You're a bit light on for useful information...

There might be, if you told us what the interface is... and what the program is, what the "sound panel" is and what you're trying to do.

You're a bit light on for useful information...

I always forget that part! Sorry, I posted this in a rush.

It's a Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2x2 USB interface (24bit), and I want to run it into Rocksmith 2014 on a Windows 7. The sound panel is in the Control Panel. I'm looking at the Recording tab, then properties of the Blackjack, and the only format I can choose is 24-bit.

Hope this is sufficient. Can't think of anything else to add.

When I look at the MOB's spec sheet, I see that whereas it can be set to 44.1khz or 48khz, it does not show any other resolution than 24 bit.

See: http://www.mackie.com/Products/onyxblackjack/pdf/Blackjack_SS.pdf

However, I can't see that the interface is needed with Rocksmith. My understanding is that Rocksmith uses a 6.5mm jack to USB converter. So you go straight from guitar to PC.

See:

'Rocksmith requires a unique quarter-inch to USB cable that allows users to plug any real guitar with a quarter-inch jack directly into their Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, or Mac. Developed exclusively for Rocksmith, this revolutionary cable turns the guitar’s signal from analog to digital, allowing it to be recognized and played through your hardware device. Rocksmith is bundled with the required cable, except in download versions and the Rocksmith 2014 Edition "No Cable Included" Version'

When I look at the MOB's spec sheet, I see that whereas it can be set to 44.1khz or 48khz, it does not show any other resolution than 24 bit.

See: http://www.mackie.com/Products/onyxblackjack/pdf/Blackjack_SS.pdf

However, I can't see that the interface is needed with Rocksmith. My understanding is that Rocksmith uses a 6.5mm jack to USB converter. So you go straight from guitar to PC.

See:

'Rocksmith requires a unique quarter-inch to USB cable that allows users to plug any real guitar with a quarter-inch jack directly into their Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, or Mac. Developed exclusively for Rocksmith, this revolutionary cable turns the guitar’s signal from analog to digital, allowing it to be recognized and played through your hardware device. Rocksmith is bundled with the required cable, except in download versions and the Rocksmith 2014 Edition "No Cable Included" Version'

I didn't get the cable with the game, and Ive found in my research that it has a lot of latency so i wanted to try my interface as a better option. Some people have don't it through their microphone port an other interfaces

First off, reviving this topic because i haven't found the answer anywhere online.

I had the same issue and really wanted to use my ext. soundcard for Rocksmith.
After searching for ages on the web, i couldn't find anything but than came up with an idea.

There is this program called Virtual Audio Cable.
Within this application there is a tool called "Audio Repeater".

In this tool you can select an input and link it to a virtual input AND use sample rates that differ from the device limitations like the sample rate.
It simply resends the sound produced by the real input.

This way i've been able to play Rocksmith with my Steinberg UR-22(24bit) since yesterday.
Gotta tune some settings to decrease the lag though(like setting the virtual input to Mono).

Good luck

sample rate and bit depth are a pain - but I guess the electronic version of never having the right plug. The worst bit, which I suspect you are having is simply trying to use two different sample types at the same time, and few bits of software can do this without doing a conversion, so not real time. So in your case, the guitar goes in as one type and the mixer as another and the software can't do it. I can never remember which audio format my X32 can play from a USB stick, and always get it wrong!

Hi,
I am trying to achieve the same thing but with Steinberg CI1 which supports 24bit 48000 Hz only.
I tried using VAC but every time I enter the game it just stops transfering sound to virtual sound "port".
Before entering the game it worked good. I even heard the sound of guitar when transfering virtual sound port on my headset.
Here are some pics of how I did that.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Long story short:VAC Works until entering the game.

Thanks.

Hi,
I am trying to achieve the same thing but with Steinberg CI1 which supports 24bit 48000 Hz only.

Do a double check on this. Steinberg site says "Up to 24-bit/48kHz, latency-free hardware monitoring" which implies it can do less. I expect you should be able to configure it to do, for example, 16 bit 44.1,

I tried using VAC but every time I enter the game it just stops transfering sound to virtual sound "port".
Before entering the game it worked good. I even heard the sound of guitar when transfering virtual sound port on my headset.
Here are some pics of how I did that.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Long story short:VAC Works until entering the game.

Thanks.

I can't help with any of this. What's the "game"?

Ok so I bought the 6.3mm (female) to 3.5(male) plug and tried with my old cheap sound card.
I get the same results which points that it is up to game...
I will try to reinstall the whole game and tell you how it affected...
Let's hope for the best :D

Back