How does the Delta 66 soundcard rate?

Walter Tore

I bought this soundcard a couple years ago, when I went to computer based recording. It is also the only soundcard I have experienced. I recently upgraded my mics (got 2 - AKG C414's) and am in the process of upgrading my preamps( got an EH 12AY7). I have been using a RODENT-1A, AT 3035, MXLV57, Audix OM-2, and 1- ART TPS and 1 ART TPSII preamps. I record everything live, in the same room, 4 tracks. I am thinking of going to 5-8 tracks(all still live). Should I buy another delta 66, or is there one out there that will give me this many tracks, and noticable sound quality improvement? My budget is open to prices that will compliment the quality of my new gear upgrades. I am still a beginner at all this, so I thank you all in advance! Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/waltertoresspontobeat.htm

Just want to give my experience.

I used a Delta44 for a really long time. Once I actually learned about the recording process and my mixes improved, I got alot of comments about how clean my mixes sounded from people who use alot better equipment. Many people have been suprised at the quality the Delta cards can produce in the right hands. I really believe you have to have some really high end equipment for the Delta to become the weak link in your chain.

H2H

Thanks for the reply H2H! Like I said, I have no idea where the delta 66 stands in the way of soundcards. I may end up buying another one, to give me up to 8 channels. What are you using now? Any other comments on this would be welcomed. Thanks
Walter

here is a link to my music. The last week or so of recordings, have been with me fiddling with the new electro harmonix mic preamp.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/waltertoresspontobeat.htm

I'm using a MOTU 828 MKII now because I have moved to recording on a laptop. I have a small mobile setup that I can take on the road with me to work on my writing and music ideas wherever I am. Its flexible and does alot of things I needed. But for straight inputs, the Delta was great.

H2H

I agree with H2H.

I've had the delta 44 for 18 months or so now. I recently upgraded to the Presonus Firepod - it gives me 8 inputs, 8 preamps and firewire interface. This is a real nice unit, the preamps are better than in my old Yamaha mixer.
I have to say however, the Delta drivers are hard to beat. For example, switching between sampling rates between say media player and cakewalk would be handled seamlessly by the 44 drivers. With the firepod, I have to do it manually. A small niggle, but it just made me appreciate the quality & attention to detail you get with M-Audio gear

agreed with all.

had the delta44, loved it. but I wanted something like the firpod,etc. so I got the Aardvark Q10 (and then they went out of business, just my luck ha!). Anyway, the delta 44 works a lot better with the computer than the Q10 does. Preamps are worth the switch, but the delta series is great man.

I have a 44... it's certainly NOT the weak link in my recordings....
I never even notice it's there... just the way a card should be!!

BUT, I wouldn't mind more I/O and maybe some spdif... :rolleyes:

Back