How do you guys monitor with effects on Comp

jeff0633

How do you guys monitor with effects on Comp I am waiting on my new Firepod and was wondering how you can monitor, say, a singer with Reverb on the vocal. A lot of singers want some reverb in their headphones. Doesn't latency prove to be a problem getting revrb when tracking? From what I hear, the Firepod cannot route it's inputs direct to the outputs for using effects before the recording point. Can anyone confirm this? I have heard so many good things about the Firepod, but this will be a problem if I have to go to the software first, back out to a reverb unit, then back in. Latency would probably be terrible like that. I guess I could get a mixer with some decent pres, like the Soundcraft M4 or something. I have a Groove Tubes brick, and adding the M4 would give me five outboard pres, and three more on the Firepod. The M4 would be another 500 bucks though. Damn.

How do you computer recordists let your vocalists hear some revrb while they sing?

Jeff

Buy a used Nanoverb for $50 (or whatever) and patch it into your headphone mixing system. I use a Mackie 1202 and a Delta 44 for this. My vocal pre goes into Channel 1 on the Delta, and I tell the Delta to route In 1 to Out 1. Out 1 goes into a Channel on my mixer and then I can use that channel's aux send to get reverb into my headphone mix.

I have found a nice way while using Cubase SL3 (and can be done in some other versions as well). Say for instance I am recording a vocal and want a software reverb to go to the headphones. First, set up your blank vocal track. For this example I will use inoput number 1. Then i set up a second track (dummy channel) and assign it to input number 1 as well. Then you set up an FX channel (basically a reverb on an aux send). On the dummy channel I turn the fader all the way down, set the channel to input monitor mode and then activate an aux send on that channel in prefade mode to send to the reverb I set up in Cubase. Basically, in my studio I monitor all live mics straight off the console for headphones, etc... so that I NEVER have to worry about latency. What this trick does is allow me to utilize a reverb form my computer to go to the console for monitoring purposes without passing the dry vocal (which would have some latency). Technically the reverb will have some latency, but then reverb is a time based effect and that latency is not an issue at all. Basically, just shorten your predelay a little to take into account the latency:)

Back