How Do You Deal With Noise From the Computer?

IronFlippy said:
The only CRT that should be making noise is a broken one. However, the strong magnetic fields in a CRT screws with magnetic guitar pickups, which is incredibly annoying.

I think you can get a ferrite core to put on your monitor cable to reduce that.

The only CRT that should be making noise is a broken one.

Even unbroken CRT's do make a minute amount of noise, though it is still far below the noise even a quiet computer system will make. It's like a large light bulb, sucking a lot of power; if you are in a good quiet studio, if you really listen, they do make a little noise. If you are in a quiet studio with nothing but a mic, mixer, keyboard, mouse, and CRT monitor, believe me you will hear some noise from the monitor, even if it's working 100%.

I wasn't saying my monitor makes tons of noise, it's actually very quiet, but it still has a little negligible noise.

Last edited:
mbenny123 said:
Even unbroken CRT's do make a minute amount of noise, though it is still far below the noise even a quiet computer system will make. It's like a large light bulb, sucking a lot of power; if you are in a good quiet studio, if you really listen, they do make a little noise. If you are in a quiet studio with nothing but a mic, mixer, keyboard, mouse, and CRT monitor, believe me you will hear some noise from the monitor, even if it's working 100%.

I wasn't saying my monitor makes tons of noise, it's actually very quiet, but it still has a little negligible noise.

So it doesn't really matter, unless you're recording right in front of the monitor. I don't have the quietest computer in the world, but when I replaced the stock fans with quiet ones, my cpu idles at 50 C. I'm thinking I'm going to replace the 2 80mm fans in the front and back with a 120mm. 120mm fans produce less noise than 80mm, but I'm not sure about how much air it pushes in comparison.

Back