How do those MOTU interfaces work?

DefenderOfRock

How do those f/w interfaces work? Can I use a mixer to mix and monitor?

Ok, heres the dealeeyo...

I am thinkin about "upgrading" to comptuder recording soon, but I only really want to if I can use my mixing board for mixing/monitoring. I really only want to use the computer for the actual recording medium and some effects processing. I am definitly not a fan of mouse mixing with those silly software mixer screens, and getting a control surface is outtada question since Ill be blowing my cash on the interface.

I am looking at those MOTU 828 or Firepod 8in/8out interfaces. I dont really understand how the routing on these units works, but it looks like I could route tracks from my computer to the 8 outputs on the interface and then plug those into my mixa' for monitoring and mixing. Is this possible? Are there any latency issues there?

I have been in the cassette world for too long now, and I have no idea how this computer stuff works, so thanks a ton for any help anyone could offer! Ill get anyone who helps backstage passes to my shows when I am famous!

Thanx!

Carl

Last edited:
DefenderOfRock said:
I am looking at those MOTU 828 or Firepod 8in/8out interfaces. I dont really understand how the routing on these units works, but it looks like I could route tracks from my computer to the 8 outputs on the interface and then plug those into my mixa' for monitoring and mixing. Is this possible? Are there any latency issues there?

With the 828mkII you have 22 outputs available (using the analog and digital I/O) that, yes ... you can assign tracks to those outputs and mix out of the box.
There will be a slight amount of latency making the round trip, but for monitoring ... you should be fine. Also most programs will automatically offset for recording latency but that shouldn't matter much for a mixdown anyway. It would really only be a consideration for over-dubs so that new tracks sync with previous ones.

If you are looking at the MOTU 828, check out the user forum at unicornation.com. You probably have to register to view posts but it's well worth the hassle. Unicornation is basically a MOTU user site with a slight bias towards Mac-MOTU setups. Like all interfaces, the 828 has its share of issues and user feedback might influence your decision to buy. You can also get answers to other setup issues like integrating an analog mixer.

You might also do some thinking about mixing in the box (the computer) versus using an analog mixer. The analog approach is great if you have high quality A/D converters and a high end board that does a good job summing tracks. Some folks don't care for the sound of computer-based mixing. On the other hand, you may lose quality exporting from the computer to a board without good quality A/D conversion. I guess the question then becomes how good are the converters on the 828? No answers here just some food for thought.

Back