How do I use Reaper with a TASCAM US-4X4 interface .... and more.

PoorBoyRecordings

Hi guys. I bought a new TASCAM US-4x4 usb audio interface and Sonar LE was the bundled application that came with it. I have two problems. 1.) I don't like Sonar LE and 2.) I can't even get the interface to work. I have read and reread the manual and papers that came with it and that I downloaded from the Tascam site and every time I try to instill it, it crashes my computer. I am trying to keep this short and will leave it with that and hope it's enough info for someone to help me. Also, I would like to use Reaper with it but don't know how to set it up for Reaper if I ever get it installed.

First thing obviously is to get the interface actually functioning on your computer.

There are 3 possibilities as I see it.
1) bum interface
2) user error
3) your computer doesn't have the minimum requirements to install the interface.

Why dont you tell the good folks here more. More about the computer, etc.
Maybe soneone can help you.

After it's installed successfully, then worry about which daw to use.
Pretty sure the interface will work with most, if not all.

Good luck, at least you got a free bump for your thread.

The 4x4 specc asks for a 2G CPU and 2G ram minimum. Unlikely you are below that but then you might have a massive amount of junk on the PC that is slowing it down.

Reaper is a small program and takes few resources (at least to run the basics AFAIK) but if you have a problem try Audacity* and download that from Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once That will give you a clean, up to date install.

*Not recommended for general music work/track building but is a very good "benchmark" in that if Audacity won't run you have deeper problems! Plus, almost everyone here knows how to drive it, at least the easy bits!

Dav

I'm personally considering problem 2- User error. My computer is a HP Pavilion. 2.2 ghz AMD A6 processor w/8 gigs of memory and USB 3 plugs all over the thing. One thing was I had the thing overloaded with programs I didn't need.

I'm personally considering problem 2

Not Deep Thought but should cope easily. Are you sorted? If not Wireless Network Adaptors are one of the most common despoilers of audio systems. Turn it off in Services.

Dave.

No, I'm not running a network. Just straight to the the DSL modem. Just wondering ... could my Norton Security cause any problems ? I have a Focusrite 2i2 but Norton doesn't interfere with it.

Last edited:
Don't think it matters whether or not you are using the wireless adaptor it can still intrude.

I have always dumped all anti V software from my PCs back to XP days and just run Msoft's SE and now and again run Malwarebytes. Rarely have any bother. I found other AV software became very bloated (AVG e.g.) and kept popping up to tell me things I did not want/need to know.

Dave.

Back