how do I turn off these windows updates? if

jimistone

long standing member
I'm either waiting on windows updates to download before I can turn off the computer or waiting in the update to finish configuring after I turn the computer back on.

One of these days I would like to turn the damn thing on a d not have to wait on a windows update.

How do I turn that shit off?

Yeah its windows 7
thanks jimmy69

Or at least choose the time to do updates so they don't mess with ya.

That being said, I would have Windows Update enabled if you are using a PC for internet.

My recording PC never updates. If it works, leave it alone.

If you are using the same PC for both, well that is a tough call...

It's a good idea to let it go through most of the updates after an initial install of windows. Some stuff you might not want to update like Internet explorer or something, but let it do everything else. Then after the first day or so of updates, you can turn it off.

I'm using my phone mostly for the internet. I just use the computer mostly to post songs to soundcloud and recording.

There's been a lot of issues with W7 updates in the last year - the updates don't 'take', hence the long shutdown and startup times as it first tries to update when shutting down, then has to reset to previous state on startup.

There's been a lot of issues with W7 updates in the last year - the updates don't 'take', hence the long shutdown and startup times as it first tries to update when shutting down, then has to reset to previous state on startup.
That must be what's going on. I have always had windows updates on the various computers I have owned, but this is ridiculous.

I hate to start up a computer and have to wait "forever" (5 minutes or longer) for it to finish doing something so I can start using it! However, turning off Windows Update entirely isn't usually a good idea unless you have a routine where you check for them and install them yourself on a regular basis. I prefer to set the option to "check for updates and let me know they're available, but let me choose when to install them." If you use Microsoft Security Essentials then you can count on at least one update every day-- the latest antivirus database. Most of the other Windows updates seem to get released on Tuesdays.

Other than automatic updates, another thing that can tie up your computer for a lengthy period when you first turn it on are network devices (other computers, printers, etc.) that can't be reconnected to. When that happens you end up staring at a "dead" screen for several minutes when you turn on the computer-- it's hard to tell if it's working, because it won't even display a boot-up screen! When it finally does come up it will say it "couldn't reconnect all network devices" or some such. To prevent that, you can deselect the option to "reconnect automatically" when connecting to a network device. Or if you're using a laptop, boot it up and disconnect all network devices before you shut it down and take it somewhere away from your network.

... Except then you'll never receive any driver updates or software updates.

On the other hand, staying offline does remove the temptation of endlessly surfing the web, posting on forums, and socializing on social media when you could more productively spend your time working!

Right...that's the point...to NOT receive those updates.

Drivers and software pertaining to the DAW are usually a one time installation...and when new stuff comes out, it's updated manually. You just use another computer for downloading stuff you need, but keeping the DAW offline eliminates the stuff you don't. I've run all my DAW computers offline without any issues.
Plus. you can run a leaner/cleaner system....no AV, none of the bloat-ware that has nothing to do with the DAW.

Of course, that assumes that you have a single purpose computer just for use as your DAW.
It doesn't work well if you need it for lots of other stuff too.

And no...it doesn't keep me off the forums and surfing.
I still do that from my other computer. :facepalm: :D

Back