how do i sync with a tascam 464, and what exactly does that do?

What do you want to sync with it?

Sync = Syncronization:

Usually when you want to the timing of two devices to be the same. Like lets say you want to use two tape decks together to increase that amount of tracks available to record on. Both machines NEED to know what time on their machine is supposed to correspond with a time on another machine. Thus, syncroniztion. If one machine is recording at 1min 52 seconds, it doesn't matter that another machine is recording at 2min 52 seconds, just as long as both machines know where they are supposed to be in relation to each other. Get it? If they didn't run together from the same spot, at at the same rate, you would be able to have the audio from each syncronize together at all.

There are many uses for it. You don't even know if you need it, so there is little need right now to explain how to do it, because you never stated WHAT you would like to sync your unit with. Once that is determined, I am sure it will not be too hard to explain HOW to sync it with something.

Good luck.

Ed

well i have cubase vst on my computer. my soundcard has good quality sound but, it is just a standard creative soundblaster. I was just wanting to know some good tecniques to help me out on this demo im trying to get done. can i have all the tracks separately transferred to my comp for mixing. I just got this thing and it came with no users manual, so i have to ask dumb questions

I think your best bet if you are looking to transfer the tracks from your Tascam unit is to transfer two tracks at a time to the computer, and in Cubase, align all the tracks together the best you can. A great way to do that is, if you can manage it somehow, is to record a measure of a click track from a drum machine all at the same time on all 4 tracks before the song starts. This would give you a "visual" thing to align the tracks with once in the PC. You have to record the same click track to ALL the tracks on the 4 track at once. I don't know if your 4 track will even allow you to record on all 4 tracks at once, if not, this route will not work. If not, then you will just have to align the tracks once in the computer as best you can using your ear.

There are other options available, but these would require other equipment. The above is your best option.

Good luck.

Ed

Well, audio seems to like to go from an output of a device to the input of another. Not sure why that is, but it seems to work well that way....:)

You could try using the Track Outputs of your 4 track, or the Stereo outputs if you don't have Track out's, to the input of your soundcard. What kind of cables you need depends on the input of the soundcard and the output of the 4 Track eh? It will either be RCA or 1/4" TS (tip-sleeve...a regular guitar type cable) outputs from the 4 Track, and on your soundcard, the Line Input with be a Mini Plug TRS (tip-ring-sleeve....like a headphone connector) at the Input. The input of the soundcard will record in stereo, but might be able to record in Dual Mono (meaning left side is one channel and the right side is another channel) but this could also be software dependent.

The 4 Tracks Direct Track Ouput will be mono, and the Stereo output will have 2 mono jacks. So, depending upon how you want to transfer to the PC, you have some options.

No matter what, you will need a cable that is Mini Plug TRS to Dual Mono to interconnect the two. Since the soundcard does not have seperate jacks for Left and Right input, and only has 1 "stereo" jack for handling left and right input, you have to have a cable that will split that jack into Left and Right, because the 4 track has SEPERATE Left and Right outputs, and in addition, the Direct Track Output is Mono.

Radio Shack makes just the connector you need.

The http://www.homerecording.com main site has some tutorials on hooking up stuff to sound cards. Feel free to read though some of that, and to also READ YOUR MANUALS!!!

Good luck.

Ed

Back