How Do I Plug My Yamaha Mixer Into My Delta 44?

Bryan R. Tyler

Elrickophile
Sorry for the dumb question, but the instruction manual for my Yamaha MG12/4 mixer is very unspecific, and the manual for my Delta 44 speaks of the issue but not on how to actually plug it in. I thought Boss manuals were unhelpful, but the Yamaha one is terrible.

I plan on running signals from four different channels of the mixer into each of the four inputs of the Delta 44. I've tried doing a direct out from each channel's I/O with a cable at the first, and then second click (I have a XLR input going into it from the back of my Sansamp RBI preamp), and I'm not getting any signal on my recording program so far. Is there a button or two I'm supposed to have pressed? I've tried it with the Prefader listen pressed in, and a couple other ways, but still no signal on my program (I'm just running Audacity). I've been able to record fine by running a line out from my preamp straight into the Delta 44, so I'm sure the issue is with how I'm using the mixer and it's connections.

Here's a pic of the back panel of the Yamaha MG12/4
img10501615608.jpeg

Thanks for your help in advance!

First; you need to make sure you are using a TRS cable (two black lines) when using the inserts.

Second; Insert the TRS cable into the Insert I/O plug to only ONE CLICK.

third; Insert the other end fully into each input on the delta.

You shouldnt have to do anything else, just set up your software for each input and record.

seryozha said:
First; you need to make sure you are using a TRS cable (two black lines) when using the inserts.

Second; Insert the TRS cable into the Insert I/O plug to only ONE CLICK.

third; Insert the other end fully into each input on the delta.

You shouldnt have to do anything else, just set up your software for each input and record.

Well there you go....I was using a 1/4" mono instead of a TRS. I'll have to get a couple in the mail this week and let you know how it worked out. Thanks- I'm a doof :)

Thanks for the advice, seryohza.

I received my TRS cables today, and everything appears to be working fine now. I have XLR outs from my Sansamp preamp and my mic going into the mixer, and I have TRS cable going from the I/Os of the first two channels of the mixer into my Delta 44.

The I/Os work whether the TRS cables are pushed in all the way or just to the first click- the difference is that when it's only pushed in to the first click, you can monitor your levels on the mixer, and when they're in all the way you can't. The I/Os run pre-fader, correct? The faders don't have any effect the way I have it set up right now, so I imagine they bypass the fader.

Insert cables are usually used to insert a processor (usually dynamics, like a compressor) into the channel. But to use it as a send to a soundcard, one usually uses a TS cable to the first click. This should give your fader level control to the soundcard. Of course, I'm not really familiar with your mixer, so it may be designed differently.

BTW, I really like your paintings!

MadAudio said:
Insert cables are usually used to insert a processor (usually dynamics, like a compressor) into the channel. But to use it as a send to a soundcard, one usually uses a TS cable to the first click. This should give your fader level control to the soundcard. Of course, I'm not really familiar with your mixer, so it may be designed differently.

BTW, I really like your paintings!

I wasn't able to get any response using my normal 1/4" plugs- the TRS has been the only cable that did anything.

Oh, and thanks for checking out my work :) I appreciat it.

Bryan R. Tyler said:
I wasn't able to get any response using my normal 1/4" plugs- the TRS has been the only cable that did anything.

Oh, and thanks for checking out my work :) I appreciat it.
Yeah, what was I thinking? It's been a long day. But glad you got everything working.

And you're welcome!

Looks like you've been sorted out here mate, but I just wanted to say that the Yamaha MG mixers and the Delta cards are some of the best buys out there ... I happen to own one of each! :)

My MG10/2 manual is written like some kinda 2nd-rate magazine article. It doesn't tell me a right lot about the product but contains headings like "The Venerable RCA plug" and "The Versatile Phone Jack" and other such crap. At least it's actually written in proper English though ... unlike a lot of badly translated manuals you get now! :)

Back