How Big Should I Get My Dongle?

CMiller

I have a question for anyone interested in answering...

How many dongles can go onto a port? I have Cubase, which has a dongle, and I'm interested in getting some Waves products, which also use a dongle. Can I stack these things as long as I feel like?

It seems like an awful pain in the ass after a while. I won't be able to move around without my dongle bumping into something (kind of like real life).

Despite my joking around, this is a serious question by the way.

And now you know why it's best to "just say no". You've already registered... get a warez version with a clean conscious, or just don't support them. No one told Micor$oft you need intrusive copy protection in order to make money. Dongle is not acceptable. Shout it from the highest mountain ;).

T-Rax requires one so I just got in touch with my cyber terrorist friends.......
A dongle is a security device that some manufacturers make you use in order to use their software. The dumbest idea known to man.

Torpid-X,

Dongle is a small device that plugs into your parallel port. Without it, the software will not run.

is it an otherwise useful device, like the outragously expensive Peavy/Cakewalk studioMix system? also, Snappy! capture card thing, or just a useless waste of an IRQ?

Rich

T-X, it's neither. It's a passive device. It's not supposed to interfere with printers, but that's not always the case in real life. It's like a key to unlock the software.

Well, now that I know what dongles are it sounds like they suck (no pun intended) could you velcro them to the inside of your case somehow, maybe drill a hole for the wires?

The man with the biggest dongles wins!
Rich

Every dongle needs its own port as far as I know, which means you can only run as many dongle-based progs as you have ports. My wife, who knows all about dongles (now, don't you start...), says there are devices which you can plug into your dongle port which take more than one dongle. The mind boggles. Dongle boggle.

The only good thing about it is the cute name. Dongle. Wanna see my dongle? Yeah, right, get it out...

Ah!

The parallel A/B switch will work, one device at a time though, another expensive, bulky addition for your computer, more wires, more mess, just shoot me!

Rich

Do dongles not have their own port on the back ie to allow a printer in? If so, maybe you can just plug on dongle in the back of another dongle? Or maybe not. Can't see the difference myself, tho'.

PGLewis, are you a Human League fan, at all?

yours,

matt

checK: http://www.mp3.com/carolynn

What a pain!! What you can do is buy a second parallel port card. Windows will support 256 parallel ports.

Just a heads up, they can be a little tricky to get setup being that you must be initimately involved with all of your computers IRQ and I/O ports.

At work, we use several software packages that require dongles. The most we have on one computer is 4. Some dongles seem to work ok together(on the same port) others need their own port. Also, some dongles make the port not work with a printer. It's totally random....if we get an upgrade with a new dongle, it may work differently....weird.
I'm all for the idea of buying the software, but using a "de-protected" version. If you actually payed for the software, i can't imagine anything wrong with that.

Back