How about this set up??? This is what I am getting this week

enemyofthesun

Hopefully it is a good setup

MOTU 2408 mkII
CUBASE 5.0
Motormix

It will be running on P3 500 256 mb ram and a 60 gig 7200 drive in it.

Anyone have any experience with a similiar setup? Any incompatibilities etc I should be aware of??

sounds like a good start....
what kind of recording will u be doing with it?.....

if you plan on doing alot of plugins, maybe a faster CPU.....

if you have just one hard drive, a second one for applications helps for higher track counts.....

but to start out with, thats a fine setup.....get your feet wet and address the weak spots along the way.....

well I do alot of 24 track adat based recordings now but after seeing all the cool plug-ins and the advantage of automation etc of computer based recordign I am going to go that way if all works out. I do alot of rock,punk and metal bands.

My biggest concern is that there only 8 1/4" inputs on that motu unit and many times I need as many as 12 inputs simultaneously.
(10 on drums and 1 each for guitar and bass scratch tracks)

I am trying to find out what the upgrade path is if I need more inputs and wish to exapnd this existing system. I was hoping to be able to route additional tracks in real time from a adat going into the optical inputs on the motu at the same time I am recording from the populated 1/4" inputs....

what about recording to ADAT, transferring tracks to computer for mixing/mastering?.....

yes I was considering that as a last case option. I guess I will try it when I get it.

I have been trying to get info on what cubase functions the motormix will control but for the life of me I dont see any info at all.

Do you have one of these by any chance?

I know a producer that uses motu. He says that in recording analog audio, he gets lots of artifacts. Motu is best for MIDI and Protools LE is better with analog sound and editing. You can go up to 18 inputs... 8 with given DIGI box, 8 with addon, and 2 more via second add on with optical outs.

I have been using DIGI for several months and am blown away by the sound.

could you please answer two questions for me?

Does protools le virtual EQ 'knobs' look like a dial on screen or is it a slider? I cant really handle those sliders. I am so used to knob positons

will protools le let you use popular plugins? or do they use a proprietary type?

Sorry, it is sliders. However, you do get numeric values to help. The plugs do not use vst. Motu and Protools both use proprietary plug ins, if I am not mistaken. The quality of the DIGI plugins are much higher than the VST and equal or better, according to Sweetwater.

Back