HOONTECH and the Delta 1010

Jordy

I have had a number of good sound cards but recently decided to purchase an 8 in and 8 out 24/96 card. I ended up with the Delta 1010 card and it is excellent and so far seems to be bullet proof. When I went to the shop to buy this card the sales guy said "why not by this Hoonrech Audio DSP24 + ADC/DAC2000" (which in Australia is sold as a C-Port Card) He explained that it was an exact copy of the Delta 1010 and was half the price. OK So I did my thing and made it quite clear that if this card was crap I would be back to either get my money back or I would burn down their shop and having dealt with my wrath before they knew that I was serious and agreed to let me try out the card and if it wasn't what it was supposed to be I could get the real thing or my money back. So here is the story .... the card installed easily no thanks to the manual which was written in broken english. Imediately I had problems whith s/pdif in from some sources in that the card didnt appear to sync properly to the incoming signal. The on board chip for normal windows sound functions was way worse than any basic sound blaster card in that it was distorted in the left channel and had a noise level up around -38. Channels 5 and 6 werent working at all either hardware in or wave out and after several days of reinstalling and checking software I did what I should have done in the first place and wiggled the cable that goes from the card to the breakout box and sure enough it was defective. After checking with my multimeter it was clear that 2 of the internal wires in the 44 way cable were broken ... after a week of waiting for a new cable to arrive which was supposedly put in a 24 hour overnight mail bag I crossed over to that place where i was ready to KILL.
Fortunately because these guys know that I know what I am talking about were happy for me to exchange this defective card for a real delta 1010 and I was happy to pay the extra money without a second thought. The interesting thing is that when I arrived back in my studio and installed the Delta 1010 my computer recognised it as the Hoontech card .... I guess it was some sort of a copy after all but certainly in the case of this particular card .... a very inferior one.
Their version of the monitor mixer/patch bay and hardware settings or links as they called it was complex and although it was more graphical was difficult to negotiate.
Ok enough .... get a Delta 1010 it really is a good card.

Just another view of the Hoontech cards...

My DSP24+ADC/DAC2000 is working just fine. I plugged in an external power supply and that got rid of the little digital noise there was and dropped the noise level. The digital noise in the left channel has been experienced by several people and is due to poor power filtering in the card. It's apparently the graphics card that "messes up" the power a bit and the Hoontech power filtering isn't sufficient. Also, I had many disk drives, fans and PCI cards in my case so maybe I was pushing the case power supply too much before I got the external one.

I think it is a bit unfair to compare a defective Hoontech card with a functional Delta 1010. I agree that the Hoontech manuals are shite but my hardware is working just fine. Did you ever recieve the new cable so you could try the card properly? If so, can you compare the sound quality of the two cards?

Also, did you check the Hoontech Q&A page? There are a lot of answers there and I consider that to be the manual rather than the piece of crap that was included with the hardware. I found the "patchbay software" very simple to use. Just plug everything in as you expect: Channel 1 on the PCI card to channel 1 on the breakout box, Channel 1 on the PCI card to channel 1 on the breakout box etc. Nothing funny about it. The setup in the manual is not the on that you should use, as you would have known if you read the Q&A page... Sure, you should be able to trust the manual but as a technical writer, I know that it's not always the case and that the websites usually contain more up to date information.

Well, good that you're happy with the Delta card and I'm sorry to hear that your experience with the Hoontech card was so bad.

/Ola

Yea you are right I am being a little unfair and certainly I can see that an external power supply could have corrected some of the noise problems.
Maybe they should supply a power supply with the unit if it is widely known that this is a problem.
No after a week the replacement cable still hadn't arrived so I was unable to test it again before I had had enough and returned it to the shop.
I guess I'm still suffering from shock after being up all night for several nights trying to work out what was going down and to be fair this was probably just a one off defective card/cable.

Well, if the replacement cable was delayed that much, I cannot really blame you for returning the card.

The odd thing about the external power supply issue is that Hoontech keeps claiming that it's not a problem. Maybe it's not on their test system but on my bogged down system and with the graphics card I had, it really helped. I mean add a US$30 adjustable regulated power supply (which is what you need) to the US$350 that the card cost and it's still dirt cheap. They should just admit it and get less complaints. After all, there is a socket for an external power supply on the box so why claim that it's not necessary to use it? Odd.

/Ola

Back