Hissing noise in recording

rfpd

I tried recording and listening to it, and there's always an high frequency hissing noise, I can eliminate it sometimes, but I don't want to screw up the rest of the audio. I'm using an akg p170 to behringer ps400, using fender cables. The thing is, they gave me the wrong cable from the phantom power to the computer, so I had to buy two adapters, female xlr adapter and 6.5mm to 3.5mm jack.

The recording is using the akg p170 and a cheap mic, the cheap broken mic doesn't appear to have any noise, so I don't think it's the soundcard problem, probably the adapters?

Attachments

• untitled.mp3
    161.3 KB · Views: 15
Best bet would be to ditch the Rube Goldberg setup (phantom power supply -> ???cable -> OEM sound card) and get a proper USB audio interface.

What bouldersoundguy suggested^^^^^
Tell us what you're trying to do as far as recording and some suggestions on what you need can be made here.

The cable and adapter are most likely the problem. The XLR to 6.3mm cable to 3.5mm adapter is probably XLR--TRS--TRS which is intended for a 'balanced' connection between devices. The input on the computer is likely either for an 'unbalanced' mono microphone or for a stereo 'Line' 'unbalanced' input, neither of which will work properly with a 'balanced' connection. The other fly in the ointment might be if using a Mic input on the computer which may provide 'plugin power' on one of the connections in the jack. If your 'cheap' mic has a 3.5mm plug it likely is powered from the computers 'plugin power'.

Balanced vs. Unbalanced Audio: What's The Difference?

That's not hiss - it's data noise. The internal sound card almost certainly (or the onboard chip). That burbling sound is the give away, The card is expecting a cheap headset mic, and it's getting a mixer through it's unbalanced input. The trouble is the data churning around inside gets out, then gets back in via the audio in connector, and you probably have a fair amount of gain being applied, which raises the background noise, and the background noise is that weird swirly sound. You can minimise it by experimenting with the mixer output level, and the on screen sound input level volume , if your computer has this. Some computers but this data bus noise on their ground - which travels along USB cables and can induce the same noise onto a perfectly good audio interface. My friend had a Scarlett, which people generally like - but the interference was on the 5V USB supply and the interface then sent it back. You can try all kinds of tweaks but if the system is unstable in this way, it is usually impossible to cure - however, the on chip sound cards are usually horrible things quality wise. 500 quid computer and less than 5 spend on the audio. This is why everyone serious avoids those rear audio ins and outs. if they work well, it's always pure luck!

Rob...... the Behringer PS400 is a phantom power supply box not a mixer, so just straight into the computer. The OP is likely setting the gain in computer fairly high which isn't helping.

Rob...... the Behringer PS400 is a phantom power supply box not a mixer, so just straight into the computer. The OP is likely setting the gain in computer fairly high which isn't helping.

Might be that, but I'll buy a new cable, without adapters, and reduce the gain to see if it reduces the hiss.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, the P170 is balanced although IF the adaptor is wired correctly it should work.

Yes! OP desperately needs a decent interface (in ascending price order..Alesis i02, Steinberg UR22, Focusrite 2i4, not the 2i2, not a proper AI IMHO, sans MIDI. The Behringers damn their eyes!)

BUT! This crops up all the time with Windows sounds. Look at the attached pic of Samplitude and the 'External Mic" level setting*. With an ubercheapo BM-800 (unbalanced) mic set for -20dBFS for speech at ~2" they are the numbers I found best. Level at 50 and no 'mic boost.

This results in a noise floor of around -65dBFS, comparable with Dolby B cassette so JUST about acceptable. For hearty singing you could probably drop the level to 30 and gain a better noise floor.

The spectrum plots show the nasty hash of the OP's signal. The much lower and smoother 'HP' plots still shows the artifacts, just, but at a much lower level. These seem to be inherent in crap internal soundcards or are a feature of the USB conversion? By comparison a similar plot of my KA6 or indeed my F'rite 8i6 would be at -100dBF at least and smooth as an infant's bum.

*The mic must be set in Windows sounds as default device.

So, bottom line? GET A PROPER INTERFACE CHAP! (and use ASIO drivers)

Dave.

Attachments

• SPEC hp at 50 no boost.png
    SPEC hp at 50 no boost.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 10
  • soundcard setup.png
    soundcard setup.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Spectrum berihiss.png
    Spectrum berihiss.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 8
Oops - mistaking a phantom power supply for a mixer! There is no point trying to use the internal systems for quality recording - with all that bus noise hanging around, you probably need more gain for the mic, and lowering won't do much - because if your recordings end up being quiet - bringing up the level will bring up the noise too! You are going to have to bite the bullet and buy something - fifty quid at least, really.

Oops - mistaking a phantom power supply for a mixer! There is no point trying to use the internal systems for quality recording - with all that bus noise hanging around, you probably need more gain for the mic, and lowering won't do much - because if your recordings end up being quiet - bringing up the level will bring up the noise too! You are going to have to bite the bullet and buy something - fifty quid at least, really.

Totally agree ^ The i3 HP lappy that produced those plots is actually a very good sample of an internal card. The replay circuits especially are very good and drive my Tannoy 5As very cleanly. Most laptops will not be nearly as good.

Dave.

What bouldersoundguy suggested^^^^^
Tell us what you're trying to do as far as recording and some suggestions on what you need can be made here.

The cable and adapter are most likely the problem. The XLR to 6.3mm cable to 3.5mm adapter is probably XLR--TRS--TRS which is intended for a 'balanced' connection between devices. The input on the computer is likely either for an 'unbalanced' mono microphone or for a stereo 'Line' 'unbalanced' input, neither of which will work properly with a 'balanced' connection. The other fly in the ointment might be if using a Mic input on the computer which may provide 'plugin power' on one of the connections in the jack. If your 'cheap' mic has a 3.5mm plug it likely is powered from the computers 'plugin power'.

Balanced vs. Unbalanced Audio: What's The Difference?

It was that, I was using mic input instead of 'Line In'. Using 'Line In' I get a really low background noise which can be eliminated, I'm guessing it's room tone. Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, the hissing just disappeared, I don't think it had to do with that. I'm trying to use the mic through a zoom g2.1dm, no noise, but low sound aswell, I'm still experimenting, thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I'm really confused now. You have a microphone level system - as in microvolts coming out of the mic, and this needs gain to get it to line level. You now have an instrument level guitar processor, if I understand correctly? This is not a system for reliable quality recording in any respect. You're fudging everything and it's never going to give you decent results that will stand up to scrutiny. You NEED a proper audio interface that can take your mic and optimise it's output to the computer. Line level on the computer with a mic connected to it should be worse - NOT - better. Condenser mic to a phantom supply, then to the computer is not a good path, and slapping out through a pedal expecting a guitar level signal is a poor path. If you are getting results that work, I'm truly amazed!

Back