Hints for new audio interface

il_mix

Hi, everyone!

I'm new to this forum. Not that new about home recording.
I own an old M-Audio Fast Track Pro. It's still working good regarding the hardware, but the drivers are lacking updates, expecially for Windows; on Windows 10 the interface is definely not reliable.
So I'm looking to a new interface, and asking for hints.
I'm mainly using the interface for bass guitar study, sometimes for actual recording my instrument or some virtual instruments via MIDI controller. A small 2-3 elements band record session can be considered, so a 4 input interface is a "why not" since I'm upgrading the hw.

Summarizing, I'm interested in;
  • good price/quality
  • direct/playback ratio control, preferably harware (a physical knob, not a software control)
  • good and actively maintained driver (mainly Windows)
  • following the previous point, better to have a quite new interface with respect to an old one, hoping for a longer lifespan
  • 4 input if possible, but a 2 inputs will be ok
  • why not, some useful software

Which interfaces will you recommend given these points?

I've reviewed several interfaces, and I'm mainly interested in these models (with my personal pro-cons):

Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
PROS
Widely used in home recording, good price/quality ratio.
Actively maintained (last firmware update 11/01/2018)
Direct/playback ratio knob
CONS
Shipped with Ableton Live Lite, but I already own Ableton Intro (and maybe I'll switch to Standard)

Native Instrument Komplete Audio 6
PROS
2 extra input channels
Shipped with some interesting software
CONS
Looks like the last driver version was made in 2015
No direct/playback ratio knob

Steinberg UR44
PROS
Not that expansive for a 4 inputs interface
CONS
No direct/playback ratio knob

PreSonus <some 2/4 inputs interfaces>
PROS
Good preamps
Direct/playback ratio knob
Good price/quality ratio
CONS
Not that "famous"

What about my listed pro-cons? Did I miss something? Or did I get some wrong info?

Many thanks for your support!
MIX

I'd really look at systems with 4 mic preamps if you have any thoughts about trying that kind of recording. It is a fair price bump, but even if you're not recording more than two simultaneously, it allows you to leave things plugged in, like a vocal mic, acoustic guitar mic, and your bass and electric guitar or perhaps an electronic drum kit.

Here are USB interfaces with 4 mic preamps (filter applied at Sweetwater). Quite a wide price range! (You can filter on that, too, of course, but you didn't give any specfics.) There are a couple other in the range of that UR44 that might be worth looking at if that's in your budget.

USB Audio Interfaces | Sweetwater

I'll throw the Tascam 2x2 and 4x4 interfaces into the ring. I don't think they have a physical direct/computer knob, but I think that once you establish levels, you rarely need to be adjusting it (it's easy enough to kick up the software interface though).

I'm in holding pattern till after NAMM which is just days away now BUT......I've become the Behringer Schill here ( hey a 100 million dollars a week is hard to say no to :rolleyes: )...I know the reticent attitude and the OMG it's junk...bottom line is at some point Behringer made some changes and they are kicking ass and taking names. My Yamaha MOX keyboard has an interface ( I guess steinberg but no one is talking) that provides me with 2 stereo channels. 1 of the stereo channels is only from the sounds in the keyboard the other stereo channel is from whatever I input into it...( usually vocals ) This works for my solo stuff so I have been holding off replacing my Line 6 UX8 boat anchor... but been seriously lusting the Behringer Uphoria 404 HD and also considering x18 for about $500 more that would give me a ton of inputs...All I can tell ya is read the 100's of positive reviews and Utube videos about the little 404hd..... for $99 it seems it is too good to be true..I would venture to say it is on par with any of the units previously mentioned in this thread at a fantastic price HERE's the SW skinny on it In regards to recording software Reaper is your friend.....like the Berri powerful and cheap :thumbs up:

Thanks for your replies!

First, I'm quite anal about the direct/playback knob. 95% of the time I use the interface to study. Typical and simple example, to learn a song. So, plug in the bass, connect the headphones, play the song on VLC or whatever, set direct/playback to 50/50 (or what else) and play. Without the knob I have open a further software to control this, in extreme cases even a DAW! As mjbphotos said, I probably need to set it once, and then the interface software stores the settings and re-set them on startup (I hope!). But I've seen that I'm playing with the Fast Track knob almost every time I plug it in; different songs leves, metronome level furthermore differs, plug in a different bass (although, again, as mjbphotos said, with 4 inputs I can always connect bass A on input 1, bass B on input 2).

Thanks to TAE for the "wait for NAMM" hint. I'm definely do that!
Also thanks for pointing out the Behringer. I was actually curious about their interfaces, but didn't actually look at them. The 404HD looks really interesting! (Also, direct/playback knob. Aw yiss!) But, I'm a little skeptical about the reliability, since I've read several reviews of customers with non working in/out after months.

Also, thanks to keith.rogers for the SweetWater hint. I've already had in mind to do such a thing (on a different store, but whatever).

Last edited:
There's a thing that is bothering me. Thought I read it in this thread, but I can't find it anymore... maybe I read it somewhere else.
Anyway, the thing is; is it important to have separare 48V switch for the inputs? Many "cheap" interfaces have a single one.
But take a real case scenario. Bass+guitar duo (really real case scenario, since it is a project I'm involved at the moment). For recording, will connect the bass directly, 2 mics for the guitar amp, a condenser mic for ambient. I need the phantom power for the latter, but with a single 48V switch I can blow up something.
What are your thoughts about this? Am I overthinking?
Talking about the mentioned interfaces, none have dedicated 48V switches for any single inputs. Some have a switch for input pairs (Scarlett, Steinberg UR44. Can be a good enough solution), others a single switch for all inputs.
A higher grade, but still budget, Behriger FCA1616 offers this. Quite big, tho...

Peeked at NAMM news regarding recording interfaces. Looks like Audient will release an iD44; info on Audient site, too (can't post link due to fresh forum account...).
Interesting!
Brand new hw, so good lifespan. Good converters. Separated 48V controls. Sturdy build. Notorious good latency.
Direct monitor only via sw (DSP direct monitor).
Also, I'll probably run away once the price will be revealed...
(on the good side, iD22 is on sale via Thomann at the moment...)

I need some advice regarding the single phantom power switch vs. multiple switches.
I read that, usually, the phantom power will affect only the TRS connector, not the 1/4'' jack one. Just tested it on my Fast Track Pro with a multimeter and it looks like it is the case. But "usually" is the key word here. I've read a thread where a RME (!!!) got some preamp blowed up due to phantom on the 1/4'' jack socket. Also, looking at the Audient iD22 input block diagram (awfully, can't post the link...) the TRS wires and the jack wires look are connected togheter, so the phantom will go on both (not a problem in this particular case, since there is a switch for every input; but it is an example that sometimes the phantom power goes on the jack input, too (it's a block diagram, not a schematic, so maybe they just over-simplified it)).
So, how to be sure that an interface with a single (or double) phontom switch can actually be used to record condenser mics with phantom power + instruments safely? I've took a quick look on a couple of manuals, but they didn't address the topic.
On the other side, a 8i/8o preamp like the Behringer ADA8200 has 8 TRS/jack combo input with a single phantom switch. I doubt that this can be used exclusively with instruments OR exclusively with condenser mics...
So, how to be sure that I'll be safe with a single switch?
And if a single switch is not a problem, why adding multiple switches? To have isolated power for different devices?

Many thanks
MIX

I’ve never had any problems with the single switch. I think the only thing that does are passive ribbon mics. I doubt it ever is supplied to the 1/4” part of a combo jack since that is always either instrument or line level.

The U-Phoria series is a pretty stellar value. I've only used the baby brother in the series, but those Midas preamps are solid considering the price.

Also there's the Roland Rubix series. I used the 2x2 version and I was pleased with its performance and quality. The control panel app is a little kooky but it works well.

It's common on mixers, interfaces, outboard preamps, ADAT preamps, etc. to have a single phantom power switch to control all XLR inputs at once. If that RME blew something up due to passing 48V over a TRS connection, it would have almost certainly been due to defect, damage, or maybe some debris in the jack that made contact with something it shouldn't have.

That X18 does look really nice. Great price. And for the solo engineer performer, looks like it would be good if you have your tablet next to you to help adjust levels and such. I wonder if it controls the DAW levels and record function?

I’ve never had any problems with the single switch. I think the only thing that does are passive ribbon mics. I doubt it ever is supplied to the 1/4” part of a combo jack since that is always either instrument or line level.
+1 Some newer ribbon mics use Phantom power but most don't and could be damaged. Not instantaneously either- I can personally cop to having the phantom power turned on accidentally when I used a ribbon for amp mic and didn't realize it until I happened to look at the board and see the PP LED lit after recording for a minute or so. Didn't seem to hurt the mic at all. Some older ribbons like rca's etc , can be more damage prone. Also some mics with separate power supplies often don't like phantom power but it usually wont hurt the mic itself , just the power supply. As for musical instruments like guitars, keyboards etc, nah, no problem

Unless Presonus has drastically improved their preamps, I wouldn't exactly call them good. For one, they're way too hot and color the sound. Focusrite preamps are far more transparent. Having both, I pretty much only use the Presonus when I absolutely have to, and never on anything I consider important.

Hi Mix, something to consider about the Fast Track Pro, it can be run 'Stand Alone' That is to say all you need is a 9 volt power supply (about 1amp IIRC) and then to set up the inouts and outputs you need on a PC, I take it W10 will work well enough for the short time this needs? Otherwise it can be done on any old PC you have handy. But "why" you ask?

Well, you have mentioned the NI KA6, my top reccy for years. Two mic inputs (and way better than the ones on the FTP!) but also two balanced line inputs so, plug the FTP in there and you have 4 mic ins for the price of two!

The KA6 also delivers lower latency than any AI I know close to the price, has super stable drivers and works on ANY OS I am aware of including Linux. Comes with a cut down but very useful version of Cubase, dog's danglers for MIDI work.

I am not sure I understand your issue with phantom power but rest assured it is not a problem with modern kit at all . If you happen to have a 25yr old, $3000 vintage ribbon, make dead, bang sure it is off (I would build an isolator box!) otherwise, not a problem.

Dave.

Motu 4 pre. or the Behringer UMC 404 . Both work well . I have the Behringer UMC204, it does a decent job. I also have Motu audio interfaces they do a very good job ( especially the black lion modded ones).

G'day
You might be surprised at the Behringer FCA1616. I've had one for awhile now and never had any problems. Clean sound, great features - phantom power option on inputs, etc. Check it out on Youtube and Behringer site for specs. I looked at many others before deciding on the FCA1616.

G'day
You might be surprised at the Behringer FCA1616. I've had one for awhile now and never had any problems. Clean sound, great features - phantom power option on inputs, etc. Check it out on Youtube and Behringer site for specs. I looked at many others before deciding on the FCA1616.

Does it work equally well on USB as Firewire? The latter you see is all but obsolete unless you have TB and an adaptor and even then there is no guarantee it will work.

Dave.

Back