hey i did it

bhlewis

hey i upgrade to a better puter today this is what i got intel p3 733mhz, intel chipset 810, ide ata/66 7200rpm 15gig hard drive i will be using a delta 66 sound card. will i be able to get at least 12 tracks of audio record and playback? what problems may i look forward to? thanks.

Congrats! Sounds good. How much Ram?
I have a lesser system (566celeron, 128ram, 15gigHD)
and can get twenty tracks without worrying.
(Sound Card-Darla24). I dont do much with Plug Ins.

I am assuming you will get plenty of tracks, like 30.
Plug-ins, of course, eat up tracks, so use sparingly
if you want lots o/ trax. David

I dont understand. ive got a Pentium II 333, 15G 7200 RPM with 196M RAM, and i can record 4 tracks, and play back 16 tracks with using like 5% to 10% of my cpu and harddrive. ive made it all the way to 128 tracks playback with my CPU at like 90%. why??? i dunno! i know i couldnt do that with Windows 98, but when i got windows ME, with a little optimization with virtual memory and buffering, it improved drastically. either it was the tweaking i did with windows or it was just that windows ME does better with that stuff, er what, but whatever i did worked.

12 track recording/delta66

Is the delta 66 able to record 12 tracks at a time?
I belive its six record(inputs)
while playing back six(outputs).
I may be wrong...

Iv got a PII 333 over-clocked to 416mhz with a 20gig HD
192 MEG and a old AWE64 sound card Im using Cubase VST32
with Wavelab as my editor, Iv just done a recording for a singer and his band and marstered 16 tracks of audio in cubase.

It would be nice to have it runing faster but hey!!
my computer is low spec to todays systems.

Please can somone tell me why I need to get a realy big
spec PC when im running the latest versions of music software.

gidman,

You are correct, with one caveat -- two of the six need to come in the S/PDIF port, so if you don't have any gear with a digital output, you can't use those two.

-AlChuck

what software

darnold,
what software are you using to record and what kind of tweaking are you talking about? help!!!!!!!!!
bhlewis

Im using cakewalk for most of my multitrack recording. One of my favorite optimizing tweaks is virtual memory (which is probably why i dont have any problem running at 196M of RAM). just go into your control pannel then in system, in the farthest right tab, theres a button called virtual memory, click into it and click the thing that says "let me specify my own virtual memory", this is where you change to whatever you want. i usually load 2000-4000 megs on minimum and maximum. it takes that much out of your harddrive but it really improves your entire computers performance. another biggy, is disable ANY write behind caching set. this is a no no for audio and video recording. go into the trouble shooting also found in your system thingy and check the one called "Disable write behind caching for all drive" (or something like that. theres also another one but its not such a big deal. Like i said before, i dunno if this is what makes me be able to record 4 tracks and playback 128 tracks simultaneously or not, but it does help a little and makes it run more smoother. another thing too, take out any other cards in your computer that you dont need, other cards use caching, and you need as much cache as you can get. another thing too that can be a problem with audio recording, is video cards, i recommend in your video card settings that you set the video cards hardware acceleration to none or minimum, this also reduces system caching.

Any questions about this? just ask me ill be glad to help yah out. (i relize i wasnt very specific on what i was saying thinkin everyone here is a computer technician...sorry).

Darnold, It's great to hear your system does so well
with Cakewalk! A lot of posts deal with the negative,
I always love it when somebody has a positive.

When I said I can get twenty tracks without sweating,
I left out an important part: I do classical music.
Its long and complicated, every part plays all the time
and lots O' notes, so my track count has to be
lower than the folks who do popular music.

Your advice on Virtual Memory is interesting.
Why am I scared to death about it? I guess I have
read too many manuals saying "dont use virtual
memory". Maybe I am just a sissy, I will give
it a shot. David

Actually i was playing a 10 minute classical piece myself and everything was playing at the same time. It didnt used to be so good even with the optimizing i did in windows 98. when i got windows ME everything worked much better (though im still not sure if thats the reason but thats what im guessing). Also, ive always used virtual memory. its definately not advised to new computer users cause they might not no how to use it. if you got the disk space its safe to use 2G 4G but just make sure you watch your harddrive space as you load stuff on it. Whenever i use the virtual memory it makes everything run much smoother. I havnt had any side effects from using it yet and ive been using 2G-4G for about 2 years now. Let me know however if you see diferently if you try it.

Darnold

Back