Here's my problem...

You could also try Microsoft Update for your XP. (I know sounds cheesy) But they always carry (generic) drivers for everything. Its worked for me in the past plenty of times.

not your fault, nick...................

NickSpringfield said:
Yeah, I have XP and tried the rollback thing, but of course, the idiot who did this for me just went ahead and did things before thinking and it doesn't recognize it. Never thought of it, but I probably do just have a chip on the motherboard, because when I opened it up, it was all one piece and I vaguely remember someone telling me that a while back.

I think I have all the original discs and documentation that came with the PC at my parents house unless they threw it out. When I moved, I only took the necessities.

Has this been easy? NO! Mostly because of my lack of knowlege in this field. This ordeal has actually gotten me wanting to learn more about computers and how they work. Yes, I am definitely planning on getting a new, good soundcard (I'll browse around for recommendations).

I left the idiot IT guy a message today on his voicemail and told him the situation. I'm gonna stop by there tomorrow and see if he can do something temporarily for me so I can at least start recording again. Before you start yelling at me, the only reason I'm going back to him now is because

1.)He's the one who messed it up, so he knows what exactly he did.
2.)I'm not paying him until this is resolved. If I go elsewhere, I still wont want to pay him because he didn't fix it and I'd be paying twice as much for the other place to do the job. Also, he's the type of person who will insist on fixing it for me. I think he gets off while doing it (Maybe that's why it won't work??).

But I'll only let him touch it on ONE condition: I must be present and he must tell me everything he's doing, along with the consequences BEFORE he does it.

I really do appreciate everyone's input here. I learned a good amount just by posting my aggrevations. I will definitely let you know how and when this is all resolved.

Thanks again,
-Springfield

you should not have to become a OS and hardware expert just to add a harddrive to your system! some people have limited experience, and in their experience, they have had no problems.

MS wants xp to be all things to all people, every feature anybody has ever heard of in another os, they try to incorporate into theirs. same way with internet explorer. most of the problem with security flaws are from allowing it to execute code from remote sites with few checks from the os.

I don't think you have 1000+ viruses on your system either, I think something is effed up. that's why i said to just start over with a thorough reformat, not just a quick reformat that resets the fats and directories to empty.

another suggestion: when you get your system back, make an image copy at that point, then when you get your applications installed, make an image copy at that point. then back up your data regularly.

now you know why MS number one priority for Longhorn (code name for next OS from MS) is (and I quote) It Just Works! Is it not wonderful using the code of the worlds richest man?

another suggestion: Make an actual list of EXACTLY what you want from this guy to be happy. then insist they be worked on one at a time and cross them off when YOU are happy, not when HE tells you you SHOULD be happy.

good luck, and again, this is not your fault.

ps: if you get a new sound card you will probably have to disable the soundcard on the motherboard, if thats where it is. sometimes this can be in the bios, sometimes little jumpers on the motherboard. but if you put a new soundcard in they may compete for the same resources and your audio software may get 'confused' about which one to use.

Everything is back and working again!!! I met up with the computer dude and he fixed it right there. He did something with the settings and plug and play or whatever. He said he didn't know I didn't have the original backup disc that came with the system and apologized. He also reinstalled all my old programs for me and everything is sweet. Only thing now is that my CD burning software that came with the PC is gone. Those programs are probably relatively cheap though, aren't they? You don't have to answer, I'll find out on my own.

Once again I want to thank everyone who listened to my grief and tried to help. It was all appreciated.

-Springfield

Back