Hep me oot! Hard drives, SATA cable question..

mixsit

Been doing some house keeping. C' drive, primary audio drive and a 'primary/active b-up drive.. plus another drive (or 'drives- more the archives' or archive to be..
What do you use for swapping in and out'?
Previous DAWs I was doing IDE drives in pull-out caddies thing.
Now all SATA, I've just been leaving the damn side cover off, the two primaries' sitting in their metal slots.. and two b/u's sitting in the bottom of the box :facepalm: :)

#2-- While I work out what and if to do on that end.. Don't want or need at least one of those drives running for day to day stuff..
Is it ok, 'safe? to have a SATA cable connected to the board, but disconnected at the drive end? (I'd pull the power on the drive as well of course)

Check if your motherboard provides external sata (esata).

I've got a dock which provides power and connects to the esata motherboard port. The drive can just be dropped in to the dock when needed.

Does this sound like it might work?

Paul

yeah Ive done that, left the SATA cable dangling unused....its like an extension cord being plugged in the wall and not used.
if theres no harddrive on it, the mother wont communicate to it...so your ok.

lol....I had pc's the same way, sitting in the floor of the housing.

Might back them up and toss them out?
This past year my household, combined, were just bombarded with pc issues, several Hardrives failed, were damaged by accidents or in one case, a new 6 month old HD failed. I lost count but it was over 4 hardrives crashing, one was the backup hd that was accidentally knocked to the floor while spinning = worst case scenario. years of info gone. the Data Recovery places want approx. $1200 for the hi-end backup. Tried the $150 Data recovery which was no luck. etc...etc... I could go on for hours. A horrible hard-drive failure year...a lot of it was old old stuff, never backed up correctly, ignored and some >8yrs old, some <6months old...laptop drive failed, etc..etc..

After a lot of inputs here by the gang, and I chose a USB Hardrive 500gig Touro for portable backup, and have been making backups to it. It is a moving hardrive, so it has to be handled well. My next large Memory-sticks for another backup....no moving parts sounds good to me...if you drop it! no problemo.

Yeah thanks guys. I did get a response over at Cakie' about the cable question. Also found out a few nights ago 'stack them two drives went too cool ..er, they got a bit hot :)
Shoot I went there (yet another sata' direct) cause the USB external was so damn slow :o
'46gigs..
'In process..
'Official Estimate... Aehh.. Just come back 'in a while :D

USB 2.0---but I believe it also runs via (included) eSATA cable. If that helps, check out the maunufacturers website. Good luck.

Paj
8^)

Back