Helping my brother build a recording PC - 1000$ budget

The KA-6 is a great piece of kit. Supposed to work flawlessly with most Linux builds.
Then there's Ardour, which is supposed to be top-notch...and available fur Linux.
But that wasn't the point. You can actually pick up 64 bit Win 7 for $75 at some places...

Yes, but not sure I would steer someone that way. :p I'm not a Mac fan, but at least I know it works and if someone selected it, they would have little issues.

I love Linux, but it is a beast and requires a lot of computer knowledge. So much so, if one had that knowledge, they wouldn't be asking the question on this board about building a computer.

I think very nice interface for good budget would be audient id 14. It has very nice low latency
You can hear live my vocals

If he can afford at least a two input interface, it would be money well spent. Sooner or later he's going to want to input something in stereo, or record a vocal and guitar at the same time, or two guitars, or just get tired of having to keeping switching out. I've got two inputs, thought I'd be fine, wish I had four or eight now.

If he can afford at least a two input interface, it would be money well spent. Sooner or later he's going to want to input something in stereo, or record a vocal and guitar at the same time, or two guitars, or just get tired of having to keeping switching out. I've got two inputs, thought I'd be fine, wish I had four or eight now.

Is it?! Daft in my book, just one mic input on an AI or a mixer. Maybe, just maybe ok for bloggers but not for anything resembling music making.

Look at the i02 if cash is really tight.

Dave.

Yes it is: "The necessary ALSA drivers are included in kernel versions 2.6.22 and above. Native Instruments does not provide any kind of support or guarantee for these drivers and for using our products under Linux."

There are interfaces that work, just have to check which ones do. Also limited VST support as well. If you could get a working interface and Reaper supports under WINE, could still make a good tracking OS.

Back