Help with using a headphone amp with Reaper (DAW)?

Coops409

I have an Onyx 1620i Firewire mixer that I'm using with my laptop to record. I'm using the DAW Reaper for recording. I'm new to Reaper and don't know a whole lot about it (I know Logic). I'm have a Behringer HA400 headphone amp that I want to use for tracking. I can't figure out how to send what I have recorded in Reaper to my headphone box.

I have the headphone box plugged into Aux 1, have Aux 1 up on the channel, Aux 1 send master up and aux 1 return up. Level on headphone amp is also up. I know the headphone amp works because I sent the talkback mic to Aux 1-4 and I could hear myself talking. I just can't get what's recorded in Reaper to send to my headphones.

I've read something about going to the I/O if each channel I want to send and selecting "add new send" but when I do that there's nothing to select. I'm operating from a Mac so I have already gone into System Preferences and selected my board as the input and output for sound.

Please help?

just go to the i/o of the MASTER channel and add a new send to the aux outs your headphone amp is on.
Mute the one you don't want to hear at any particular time.
Dont add sends on each channel when the master will send everything.

I run a HA4700 on 2 outs #1/2 of my Motu828mkII with my active monitors on the main outs.

Looking at the manual it seems that you would use the headphone output and press the FW 1-2 button. You'll need a TRS-TRS cable.

Or press the Firewire input on channels 15-16. That should put the main mix of the DAW into your mixer so you can route it to an aux output on the board.

Looking at the master i/o I don't see a where to add a new aux send. All I see is add new hardware output.

Yes.... you are adding another output to your Headphone Amp HARDWARE.
(Reaper doesn't know by name what you have plugged into every port, just that the port exists)

Just choose whatever port the headphone amp is plugged into to send everything to it....

You can mute the main out if you want to turn off the monitors and just listen to headphones
or mute the headphone send if you want to listen just on the monitors.

Back