help with tascam us-428

pearldrum944

Hi, I just got my tascam us-428 today. I bought it off of ebay and it did not come with any software. I have been messing with it all day and gotten almost no where. I managed to get the faders and controls to link up in Cubase SX, but cannot get any sound in or out. I also got the controls to link up in Cool edit pro but did not have enough latency and doesn't work well. Now Cubase crashes the computer everytime I open it. Anyone know what software it works the best with and which driver would work best? I'm running windows xp with 512 mb ram, 2.12 ghz. Thanks

pearldrum944 said:
Hi, I just got my tascam us-428 today. I bought it off of ebay and it did not come with any software. I have been messing with it all day and gotten almost no where. I managed to get the faders and controls to link up in Cubase SX, but cannot get any sound in or out. I also got the controls to link up in Cool edit pro but did not have enough latency and doesn't work well. Now Cubase crashes the computer everytime I open it. Anyone know what software it works the best with and which driver would work best? I'm running windows xp with 512 mb ram, 2.12 ghz. Thanks

Which program are you using Cool Edit or Cubase? :confused:

If you got the faders to move it's recognizing midi. So.... Did you set the driver in Cubase to us428 asio?

Should be located under devives---->devicesetup--->Vst Multitrack

Are the default settings in windows Sound and Audio devices Properties to the tascam drivers also.

Are you using the most up to date drivers from tascam?

Other than that I'd have to tell you to RTM..

I've been trying to use it with Cubase. The driver in Cubase is set, the us-428 is the windows default, and as far as I know the drivers I got from tascam.com are the newest. I am getting Cubase to run most of the time and it is detecting audio coming in from the interface. There are a few problems though.
1. The audio coming in is extremely distorted(almost sounds like there is not enough latency.)
2. No audio is coming out, even itunes or winamp will not work.
3. The input sound levels seem too low. I am using an sm58 to test with and I have to almost yell for the signal light to flash with the trim knob maxed out.

Are you using the emulated drivers in Cubase ? If you are you shouldn't be look for the tascam driver that doesn't say emulated.

Did you try uninstall/reinstall of the Tascam drivers?

Okay, so I do need emulated? The only place I see emulated is when in Device Setup>Tascam us-428>and then in the midi i/o. I uninstalled the old drivers and did the 3.3.0 again, but it did not help. I still have the same 3 problems I did before. I still have m-audio drivers installed from my mobilepre USB, do you think they could be affecting it?

Yeah, I have both. Your recording software should give you a choice (mine won't record through WDM).

pearldrum944 said:
Okay, so I do need emulated? The only place I see emulated is when in Device Setup>Tascam us-428>and then in the midi i/o. I uninstalled the old drivers and did the 3.3.0 again, but it did not help. I still have the same 3 problems I did before. I still have m-audio drivers installed from my mobilepre USB, do you think they could be affecting it?

I would not use the Emulated Drivers at all.

I would try uninstalling the m-audio drivers as well.

You may want to try one of the older tascam drivers as well like 3.09 or something to that affect.

I have not upgraded the drivers on my tascam because I got those and they worked.

If the tascam forum is still around you may want to ask someone in there if they have the older drivers.

I had the same problems with installation of the thing when I first got mine but once its running properly it gets better.

If your gonna use Cubase stick with the ASIO drivers.

Good luck

I made a post over there to try and find the drivers and get some more advice. I deleted the M-audio stuff but it did not help.

edit: I also tried the 3.09 drivers but with no luck...

Last edited:
If I don't take a break from this thing I'm going to end up throwing it out of my 5th floor window. I have tried the fresh uninstall and tried the 3.09, 3.24, and 3.30 drivers. Nothing. The 3.09 seemed to work a little better (i.e. windows would recognize the mixer when you turn it on and off) It was recognized by cubase a couple times and now all of a sudden always crashes the computer... I also tried disabling all other audio devices. I am so agrivated with this piece of garbage. Tomorrow I try it on a different computer...

Also, the signal lights in C and D just flash sometimes...

Back