Help with soundcard issue

bogtrotter

Hi All, I have an issue with a soundcard on a new computer I am trying to use. I have a Juli@ soundcard which is working well in the old system. I bought a new pc to give myself more power, but the computer won't start with the Juli@ card installed. The new system is as follows, AMD A10 7860K Processor, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, ASUS A68HM-Plus Motherboard, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, On-board integrated Radeon R7 graphics

Without the card in, the pc starts and runs fine but with it in, the pc will not start, the lights and cpu fan come on but no bios, no screens, nothing.

When I first installed the card, the system started ok and the card showed as unidentified audio/video controller in device manager. I used the latest drivers from the manufacturers website which is an exe install. It asked for a reboot, but hung and had to be shut down manually. Since then, it will not start with the card installed.

I have tried: unloading & reloading the drivers & system restore and disabling the onboard sound in device manager & bios. (it is a fresh install of windows with no other software on it as yet other than the motherboard drivers.) The card still works fine when I put it back in the old system. Spoke to tech support of the computer manufacturer who had me do some bios changes (secure boot, other OS etc) but to no avail and the card manufacturer isn't answering their emails.

If anyone has had a similar problem or can give any advice I would be very grateful.

Hi All, I have an issue with a soundcard on a new computer I am trying to use. I have a Juli@ soundcard which is working well in the old system. I bought a new pc to give myself more power, but the computer won't start with the Juli@ card installed. The new system is as follows, AMD A10 7860K Processor, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, ASUS A68HM-Plus Motherboard, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, On-board integrated Radeon R7 graphics

Without the card in, the pc starts and runs fine but with it in, the pc will not start, the lights and cpu fan come on but no bios, no screens, nothing.

When I first installed the card, the system started ok and the card showed as unidentified audio/video controller in device manager. I used the latest drivers from the manufacturers website which is an exe install. It asked for a reboot, but hung and had to be shut down manually. Since then, it will not start with the card installed.

I have tried: unloading & reloading the drivers & system restore and disabling the onboard sound in device manager & bios. (it is a fresh install of windows with no other software on it as yet other than the motherboard drivers.) The card still works fine when I put it back in the old system. Spoke to tech support of the computer manufacturer who had me do some bios changes (secure boot, other OS etc) but to no avail and the card manufacturer isn't answering their emails.

If anyone has had a similar problem or can give any advice I would be very grateful.

Are you saying you can't even access bios with the card installed now? It hangs that early? Do you have a different slot to install it in?

Can you try some other card in that slot? It could be that a receptacle is damaged or a tiny piece of metal is shorting something when the card is inserted. If you have access to an air line I would blow out the slot. Failing that, invert the MOBO and tap the PCB behind the slot. Best done on a sheet of white paper then you would see a foreign body!

Try to find a phone number for ESI UK service. Some years ago I bought an ESI 1010e from Thomann*
and had ALL SORTS of trouble with it. The man at ESI was most obliging and helpful. Still in daily use with W7.

*The t***s sent me JUST the breakout box and 50X50mm PCIe card. NO umbilical, NO driver disc, NO Cubase CD.

Dave.

Thanks for your replies. @inkline Yep that's right, I can't even access bios with the card installed and unfortunately this mobo only has one of each slot type, but I fitted my old XG1000 card which I reluctantly retired 3 years ago when I bought the Juli@ and the pc starts fine with that card in the slot, the card shows up as unrecognized audio/video in device manager and the system will reboot with the XG100 installed so the plot thickens, and it looks like it's not the card & it's not the slot.

@ecc83 esi have now replied to the email and suggested that it may be that the chipset drivers need updating. The driver version on my mobo cd was out of date so I have updated it to the latest drivers but this hasn't helped.
ps I bet Thomann have noticed the difference in business since the exchange rate went down the pan.

Anyone think it could be something to do with an irq clash? this is an area I've never dealt with before.

Let's see.. Check the bios settings to see if there's anything you can change/disable/temporarily disable that might affect IRQs..

Check to see if there is a grounding issue as ecc said..

Check to see if leaving the PC unplugged for a day resets it enough for it to register the card again like it did in the beginning..

Check to see if you can find/easily remove, wait a bit, and then replace the CMOS battery in the MB which will really reset it.. read up about this first before trying it, how motherboards are made differ..

Check to see if there is a bios update for the motherboard that addresses the issue.. then flash the bios to update it. If something goes wrong like a power outage in the middle of flashing it, you now have a bricked motherboard unless it has a bios backup feature.

Disclaimer.. I take no responsibility if you try any of these fixes.. this is technical stuff.. and I haven't installed a motherboard in a couple of years, and the tech world changes fast. Do read up on your own and find your comfort level or not with this stuff..

If you had another of the same slots swapping them around would definitely be the first choice for an IRQ issue.

Have you tried Safe Mode? There is an easy way to get there.

With PC running normally, bang off the mains at the 13A socket. When you power it back up you should get the safe mode options screen.

(Paul, if you are looking in I may have a problem for you later!)

OK, just to update you all, after a round of settings fiddling and bios adjustments, I actually looked in the slot & found that 2 pins were out of place. I sent a pic of it to the company I bought it from & they were adamant that I'd bent them myself & won't repair under warranty. (I didn't bend them, the machine was a "manufacturer refurbishment") anyway so I am now trying to bend the pins back with a modified paperclip with a view to getting the card in. Just thought I'd let you know how I got on as I hate it when the story ends in the middle :)

Have you tried Safe Mode? There is an easy way to get there.

With PC running normally, bang off the mains at the 13A socket. When you power it back up you should get the safe mode options screen.

(Paul, if you are looking in I may have a problem for you later!)

OMG, just press f8.
Failing that, maybe a broguian adjustment, Dave? ;)

Email me any time!

Just read the update - Thanks for that, and good luck!

Back