Help! Which software should I use?

d0ugie

I just want to record my guitar and build simple songs, maybe be able to add a little reverb, but nothing too fancy. At the moment I'd prefer not to pay anything. But the only software I've encountered is very crippled. Do you guys know of any freeware that I can download or at least shareware that won't hound me to register (by not letting me do major functions, or shutting down after 30 minutes)? I am desparate..

N-track... seems like this will have all that you need... i haven't tried the shareware version, but i know there is on... and the registered version is either 30$ or 50$ (depending on some feature)... so you really can't go wrong, it's a good deal...

good luck,
stevo

You can download a free sample of N-Track, but it does have some limitations. You can't mixdown to a single WAV file and the real-time effects only work on the first track.

Assuming you are willing to pay for the registered version, it's still pretty cheap. If you don't have a "real" recording soundcard, you'll only need the 16-bit version, which cost me $35 a few weeks ago. I just checked their web site (http://www.fasoft.com) and it looks like the price went up a little - $39. If you have a 24-bit soundcard then it will cost you $59. It's not free, but it's as close as you'll probably get to free for software that should easily meet your needs.

This price includes chorus, echo, reverb, and pitch shifter, so you'll get your reverb plus a little more. If you want the parametric EQ and a compressor plugins, they cost me $20 and $18.

Happy hunting.

Back