help with setting up mixer?

mark182

Alright so im trying to set up my own home recording studio and I got all the pieces but i dont know how to hook up my mixer to a computer

I have a Peavey PV 14 mixer without the usb port
I have a compaq desktop computer

I was looken at this portable sound card and i think this might do the trick but i dont know if its the best way to hook it up

<http://www.buy.com/prod/gemini-iconnex-portable-usb-sound-card-usb-external/q/loc/111/209857277.html>

Please help me out if you can

looks like it should work. the Behringer U-Control UCA202 is even cheaper by $20. never used them...hmmm... my son needs something like this, can't be any worse than his stock soundcard. He has a Yammie mixer similar to the PV.

anyone used these things?

Attachments

• hook up.jpg
    hook up.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 42
the only issue with that setup, i believe, is that at your 'poota u only have a stereo master track to play with, all mixing has to be done at the board. for guitar/vocals it doesnt present much of a problem, however with drums or things that need effects on lots of individual tracks, it might be a bit more trickier.

cheers

GuptRX

Ditto.

Even little mixers like these can get quite expensive, and you can end up paying the same for a setup like that than for a far superior multi-channel interface. In a home studio based around a computer, a mixer like this is only really useful for quickly setting up monitor mixes. You want to be worried about getting the best signal from the mic into the computer, not messing around with mixers and summing things to stereo tracks before it goes anywhere near the computer which will do nothing but limit your options later on.

Ditto.

Even little mixers like these can get quite expensive, and you can end up paying the same for a setup like that than for a far superior multi-channel interface.

In terms of flexibility, yes. On the other hand, the PV14's pres will wipe the floor with the built-in pres on almost any audio interface under about a grand, IMHO. It's a nice set of additional clean channels if you have something like a FW1814.

What I do with my mixer which doesn't have a USB port is use a cable with 2 coax speaker cables (left and right) on one end, and an 8th inch on the other. I plug the 8th inch side to the sound card already in my computer (mic input) and plug the coax cable end into the tape out. One of those articles probably already covers that but if not, that way works too.

Back