Help! Pro Tools lags when it shouldn't [Pro Tools LE/Windows 8/16GB RAM]

Tzvi

Hey guys,

I recently built myself a new PC, a real work-horse. It's got an Intel i7 3770 running on 16GB of RAM on the new Windows 8. After a little hassle with drivers, I successfully installed Pro Tools 8 LE (8.0.5). Now for my problem:

For some reason, when I pull up a plug-in, the meter lags. No matter what the plug-in is. Let's take the EQ 7-band; the changes I make seem to happen in real-time however the volume meters lag no matter what I do (input and output). I obviously have my Playback Engine set to a higher H/W buffer size, etc. etc. I know how to optimize Pro Tools. I just can't figure out why in the world the meters lag. Also what boggles my mind, is that the volumes of the track faders don't lag in the slightest during regular playback. It's only when I open a plug-in do the meters lag (both on the plug-in and on the tracks), but the computer as a whole doesn't run slower and my CPU usage is barely at 10% even with ~30 tracks w/ plug-ins. Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance!
Tzvi

dont think windows 8 is supported yet.

Well you're correct insofar as Avid not offering to answer any questions thrown at them if their users have problems with Windows 8. However Pro Tools itself runs fine on Windows 8 as it did on Windows 7 when Avid said it's unsupported. There's a few ways to install older programs on newer operating systems, and one way is called Compatibility Mode. Windows, for example, offers the option when installing a program to simulate an older version of Windows so that everything installs correctly.

dont think windows 8 is supported yet.

I'd say this is still the reason.
Just because you got it installed doesn't mean you can expect it to work correctly.

I remember running PT8 on leopard (i think?) before it was supported and having all sorts of glitches until the leopard compatible update came out.

Back