Help with pops & clicks!

matt_the_rat

Hi,

Perhaps someone can help me with a pops & clicks problem I'm experiencing while recording to my PC.

I am running Cubase VST 3.7 r2 and when recording a single track of digital audio, I have some pops & clicks.

The system:
PII266 w/ 128Meg 100ns SDRAM
Lexicon Core2 Soundcard with V2 drivers
An old IDE HD running the operating system (C: partition & Cubase on the D: partition).
A Seagate 7200 RPM IDE HD for digital audio running on its own IDE slot
I have disabled all the write behind caching, all read-ahead optimisation, and virtual memory is set at min 0 meg, max 320 meg. When my system boots up it's at 94% efficiency.

On Cubase, the system settings are 1024bytes per channel & about 720bytes for caching.

If I try to record digital audio to either the slow C or D drives- then the recording is great- EXCEPT for the occasional pops & clicks which ruin the recording (every say, 2 or 3 seconds).
BUT, if I try to record direct to the very fast 7200 RPM HD, then it skips all over the place.

Can someone help me?? I know it is possible to record digital audio that is played by a MIDI file with my system- so can someone offer some advice??

Oh, also- the above still happens right after I defrag all my HDs.

Help would be MUCH appreciated. I'm going crazy here :)

Cheers,
Matt
(life was so much easier mixing down direct from midi!)

Hey,
What MB are you using? If it's with a VIA chipset have you installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers?

Keijo

uhhh...ohhhh... :)
You didn't buy the MB yourself? You don't have a manual for the MB? One way is to open up your case and try to find the text on the MB itself :).

Keijo

The only text I could see on the motherboard itself is:

P6L40-A4 Board Rev. 1.11

and

PCI/PNP 686

Does this help??

Any other advice as to what could be causing my clicking?

What do you have the soundcard set to. Should be set to internal clock, or maybe sync. Which ever one of those choices it gives you ?

T.:cool:

matt_the_rat said:
Does this help??
Not really is there VIA written in any of the chips on the MB?

If yes, then d/l the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers and install them.
I had the same problem, but when I installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers, it started working.

Keijo

It is set to internal clock.

& I can't see any VIA on the motherboard anywhere.

Maybe I need to record audio using a faster software program, and then multitrack using VST. I need the program to play MIDI too, though.

matt_the_rat said:
would overclocking my processor help?
I don't think so it should work with your current setup, it's fast enough. It's a driver or a BIOSD setting thingie. Try ennabling/disabling these settings in your BIOS:
PCI Master Read Caching
PCI delayed transaction
And are the latest drivers installed for your soundcard?

I'm running out of ideas here :)

Keijo

the VIA chipset was a big problem for me...you definitely want to find out what chipset you have and, if it is a VIA, install the 4-in-1 drivers. I used to have a mboard with VIA chipset running a Delta44 with Cubase 3.7 and was only able to get the system running w/out pops & clicks a number of times...I finally gave up and built a new machine (not one pop/click yet!!)

Here's a small list of things that you might want to check:

- make sure that you don't have any IRQ conflicts with your soundcard
- disable your USB port
- disable CD-ROM 'auto-notification'

here's a more comprehensive list of 'tweaks' that may help you out:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/lola/lola.htm

good luck

Thanks for the info- although I'm still not sure of how to tell if I have a VIA chipset or not.

How do I check for IRQ conflicts? (I have disabled my USB port).

Forgive my ignorance- many thanks.

Matt

Back