Help?!?! Nuendo vs n-Track vs Vegas

Grim

I am interested in doing some recording on my PC - real basic stuff for now, but may want to expand in future. I've been using Cakewalk Pro 7 and hate it.

What is the best bang for the buck recording software (that will grow with me) out there today?

Nuendo is the best program you can get on a pc... and its not cheap...just to let you know. i would tell you to go with sonar but it causes the cpu to max out quick. ntrack is the best cheap program. how much do you want to spend, what features do you need, bla bla bla..

I've looked at Nuendo and love what I've seen...I just don't know if I'm ready to fork over $1500 (or whatever it is now).

I am planning on recording live shows for local bands with the hope of doing some small-scale studio work in the future.

So...at this point, the application doesn't need to be fancy but I really want to have a system that allows me to:

1) automate easily
2) edit files easily (cut & paste)
3) as many tracks as my hardware allows
4) it would be great if the separate tracks would be uncompressed and preferrably in .wav format while being recorded (unless there is a reason to go with a different method)
5) As my needs grow I would like to have an application that can grow with me.

Aside from bit depth and sampling frequency is there anything else that I should be looking for?

I'm afraid I'm putting too much thought into this...so I thank you for any input you have...

Have you downloaded the N-Track demo at www.n-track.com ??? The demo has only one restriction: you can't mix down your file to a stereo .wav for output so you can test out all the features.

N-Track has everything you listed. It's one shortcoming is that it does not have extensive - just basic - MIDI editing capabilities. Otherwise, it is worth much more than the $39 it costs (the 24-bit version is a $20 upgrade but you can get it later). VST and DirectX plug-in support, drawable automation, unlimited audio/midi tracks, grab and drag tracks, etc.

I've been using N-Track for about 8 months now and it's working great for the CD I'm preparing. Oh, and it's efficient too (unlike Vegas which is a dog on anything less than a gigahertz PC). I've had (33) 16-bit tracks or over a dozen 24-bit tracks running on my lowly PII-450mHz Gateway with two 20Gb drives.

Give it a shot, you'll spend a lot less than the others and if you like it you can spend all that money you saved on other gear.

Just to get your feet wet, N-Track is fine...hell, its fine for alot of experienced people here....as far as price/performance issues, N-Track is the hands down winner....sure Nuendo kicks ass but look at the price...N-Track does many of the things Nuendo does just as well....

Thank you!!! One last question...

Thank you all for getting back to me...I played with n-Track last nite and for the price...how can you beat it?

I have one question though...does anyone know if n-Track has any sort of template saving feature?

Reason I ask is that I am currently using one Aardvark Q10, but am planning on getting another one shortly. Instead of creating all the tracks, input settings, etc can I just load up a pre-configured template to work from?

If you set up everything and save it, then you can pull up that file to begin each time, using it as a sort of "Template". You'll just have to re-arm the tracks you want.

H2H

Back