HELP!!! NewDell/E-Mu1820/Cakewalk 9/AlesisQS7.1/Event Monitors CAN'T GET RIGHT!!!

mshea

:confused: It's been a while since I've been here. I was doing pretty well, then my system was attacked by a virus and at 4 years old, I decided I might as well use this as the perfect time to upgrade. Let me give you some background...or you can search through old posts with MSHEA in them and you'll see my progress (or lack of in some cases).

OLD SYSTEM:
Gateway
Windows ME
AlesisQS7.1
Event TR5-N Tuned Reference Monitors
Aardvark DirectPro 24/96
Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

Had it all working and talking to eachother for YEARS. Then virus. Then me raiding savings and lots of $$$ later...BIG PROBLEM!!!

NEW SYSTEM:
Dell Dimension8400/Pentium 4 (more than enough juice and guts to run this stuff) (Please note this Dell came with KICK ASS SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM perfect for DVD entertainment which uses an Audigy 2 card. I DON'T WANT TO DISABLE THIS CARD OR IT'S FEATURES IF AT ALL POSSIBLE)
Windows XP Home Edition
E-MU1820
Alesis QS7.1
Event TR5-N Tuned Reference Monitors
Cubase VST
Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

I purchased the new computer and initially installed the DP24/96 and expected to be back up and running. WRONG. My old Gateway had 'died' quite a few times and i had installed/reinstalled Cakewalk and everything else with NO problems. I thought it would be the same on a new machine. WRONG!

Issues:
1. DP24/96 interface acting 'possessed' No sound, but could see it monitoring things. Sound, couldn't see monitoring. Sometimes sound through monitors, other times no sound, just glitchy. Thought it was an XP issue, downloaded latest drivers, reinstalled and NOTHING worked. Read a post from a user who switched systems and had exact same issue w/ Aardvark and was NEVER able to resurrect it. Gave up and purchased E-MU1820 (thought problem would be solved)!!! NOPE!

2. NO MIDI signals. NO SOUND through monitors.

What works:
A Line (Mic)
Headphones
Audio from Alesis QS7.1 into E-MU

What doesn't work:
1) No MIDI signals. I don't know if I installed it wrong, if it's the Alesis (beginning to suspect it is) or I need to click some buttons on the E-MU
Connected as follows (MIDI & Audio):
Alesis MIDI OUT to E-MU MIDI 1 IN
Alesis MIDI IN to E-MU MIDI 1 OUT
and
Alesis Left Main to E-MU 1L IN
Alesis Right Main to E-MU 1R IN
(only Audio connection sending signal and sound to E-MU Patchmix DSP interface)

The directions state that when the E-MU is receiving a MIDI signal the 1 & 2 lights under MIDI on front panel will illuminate. They NEVER HAVE!!!

Do i need to be making adjustments in my Alesis??? Do I need to download or install something from/for Alesis onto the new system to get it to communicate or am I missing something in global settings that is different from the Aardvark setup (i've got them plugged up THE SAME!!!) I should have MIDI.

What does the Windows Audio control need to be set to?

Secondly, Monitors were connected to the old DP24/96 using RCA cable going from unbalanced input on back of Monitors to Monitor 5,6 outputs on back of

LOOKS like E-MU needs me to use RCA to 1/4" cable...anythoughts? Does that exist. Can I use the Unbalanced Input 1/4" on the monitors to plug into the E-MU???

There are more oddities. But that's my roadblock ANYONE with similar setup or issues, or knowledge please help.

My GOAL:

I would like to continue using Cakewalk for the bulk of my recording needs while I learn how to use Cubase later. PLUS!!! I have unfinished projects in Cakewalk. So my most immediate need is the Alesis/Cakewalk 9/Windows XP and this E-MU1820 all to play nice together so I can go out and get myself a record deal. :confused:

HEEEEEELLLLPPPPPP!!!!

Where is everybody

Is my 'issue' that horrid that no one replies? Oh No. I'm in trouble.

Ug!

OK. This place USED to be really helpful, i'm feeling quite neglected. So...in complete frustration i'm shelling out even more $$$ and having a technician come in FIX MY STUFF!!!! THERE :mad:

Uhm...sorry. :\ Two sound cards not putting out sound sounds like a Windows and install issue, and possibly a motherboard compatibility issue.

You have an Audigy 2, which throws a wrench into installing an E-mu in there. it will work, but you have to exercise caution during the install. This might have been your problem.

As I said earlier with E-mu problems, check out www.productionforums.com/emu

Yes adapters exist.

Take it slow.

Thank Goodness 4 You!!!

You are so right about the E-MU and the Audigy2. I had a flier in the box which stated something i needed to go through to keep it from installing older creative audio drivers. My issue may possibly be, i never got the windows
add hardware wizard which it stated should of automatically popped up when i installed the card. Wondering if I should reinstall it??? The guy from Guitar Center will be here tomorrow, but I wanted to resurrect as much as possible so it wouldn't be as expensive. I'm very concerned about the Alesis MIDI issues because I have had this keyboard for 4 years now and still barely know how to work it. I'm not that technical, this stuff is really hard for me, but with trial and error I get it to work and then don't know how I did it. I'm reinstalling the DP24/96 back into the Gateway today, but not sure what to expect with XP on the machine now. I solved the monitoring issue with E-MU by connecting with 1/4" cords rather than the RCA that was used for the Aardvark. All i really need at this point is to correct this no MIDI signal on the Dell and i'll have one computer up and running which is good for me now. I'm chomping at the bit to be writing again.

Back