Help with my Echo Gina 24/96

faabud

Hello I decided to purchase the Echo Gina. I installed it fine. Everything works.

Now I set my pre amp and compressor to my normal settings (before I was using the SB Live), but when I record say in Cool Edit nothing shows up.

Once I amp my mackie mixer and pre amp, and my gain on my compressor it'll show up, but I have to amp it to the very top on everything... I don't want to do that. Plus it still comes out with a low volume wave...

Now I have a SB Live Plat(used to record with that) and a Echo Gina. But it's struggling to get a hot enough signal. I really don't want to amplify it so much on my mixer cuz the levels are clipping according to my mixer but still end up with a low volume recording in Cool Edit.

What should I do? What settings etc? Also does the Gina24 have a "software mixer" for recording, cuz when I try changing the volume to recording and selecting the Gina24mixer you can't press ok...

Here's the equip I got.

Echo Gina 24/96
SB Live Plat
Mackie 1202 Vlz Pro
RNC 1773 Compressor
Shure SM58
Pent 4 1.5 Ghz comp with 80gigs

Now I know that sound must get to line level to use the Line Input but I mean why do I have to amplify everything so loud and still get a low volume recording?

Plus when I did that I had some major hiss/hum which I didn't expect from a 24 bit card...

Any suggestions ?

I have a Layla 24/96 and.....

It is much the same way but I do not have a problem with it. I set up the board like I would live. Solo the channel and set the trim to just tapping the red first. then I adjust the slider untill I have about the same on the layla mixer. I don't end up with any extra hiss my self. I am using a mackie SR24-4 and a layla 24/96, CW 9.0 and a p3 1ghz. I think you are seeing the diff between Pro and consumer on the gain levels You Know -20db vs +4. on the input and output. Your board might match your card now verses being way hotter than your card needed with the SB card?

I do not know where your compressor is in the signal chain but if it is being run on a insert try putting it first in the chain and make sure you are not robbing signal with it. Don't crank your trim on the board just to compress the hell out of it later.

Look at the gain controlls on the compressor. You will have to do some testing but it works once you get used to it.
Good luck

F.S.

Oh Ya

I should say that even doing all of this and having the signal on the layla mixer look hot it still records with pretty low signal. I guess that's what normalize is for ay.

F.S.

my signal chain goes like this

My Mic to my mixer, mixer main outs to my Compressor, compressor out to the Line In of Echo.

So you are saying I crank up my mixer a lot? Cuz I am used to mixing at a certain volume level so it's gonna be weird to mix with such a low volume...

I just tried cranking everything, but it came out all distorted and weird pitch when I played it back.

I don't want to normalize the vocals in the software. That's the reason I bought a RNC was to get all the vocals pretty much perfect just when it records.

Hmmmmm

The point of the compressor is to level out the signal, not boost or cut. I would put it earlier in the chain.

There is nothing wrong with normalizing. it does not defeat the compressor. it only takes that track to the max without clipping.

If you push the mixer into the compressor it will only cause more compression activity/distortion/noise.

depending on what you are playing try putting the compressor into the channel insert, or first in line. on a bass you can go first in line if no DI box. Put it as early in the chain as possible.

Oh ya. A compressor will not make up for bad technique. Try to sing or play as evenly as you can. it will help the over all mix.

The less you have to use a compressor the better.

F.S.

Well I will only be doing Vocals via my Shure SM58 microphone. I'm a newbie to these things. So how would I set my RNC first?

I have my mic plugged into the XLR of the Mackie Mixer, I then have the Main Outs plugged into the Compressor, and compressor into Line In of Sound Card...

Now how would I put the RNC first? Because the Mic must be plugged into the mixer, so I don't understand how to get my compressor first.

I'm sorry I am a newbie, so I hope I don't sound too stupid.

I understand that sending such a hot signal from the mixer to the compressor makes the compressor work that much harder and probably brings in unnecessary noise... But I am trying to think of way to bring it first in the chain and I can't think of a way.

Unless I went Mic to mixer, mixer straight to the Echo, then output of Echo to the Compressor, and the compressor back to the Input 2 of the Echo... but that sounds complicated...

Back