Help - Monitoring from Tascam Us-1800 In Reaper

mrbrownstone

This is my first post here. I'm still fairly new to home recording. I've recently upgraded from my old 2 channel interface to the Tascam US-1800. I jsut got it last week, and had it setup, working fine. I was able to record track from any input, and play them back through the headphone no issue. I decided to today to go out and invest in a proper set on monitors (Yorkville YSM5's to be exact). I hooked them up to the monitor outs on the back of the Tascam, but I get nothing. The headphones on the front of the interface work fine, just nothing through the monitors.

I tried turning the record monitoring button on but nothing happens. I've got it setup with the ASIO driver. Any ideas what might be going on here?

Thanks!

SP

This is my first post here. I'm still fairly new to home recording. I've recently upgraded from my old 2 channel interface to the Tascam US-1800. I jsut got it last week, and had it setup, working fine. I was able to record track from any input, and play them back through the headphone no issue. I decided to today to go out and invest in a proper set on monitors (Yorkville YSM5's to be exact). I hooked them up to the monitor outs on the back of the Tascam, but I get nothing. The headphones on the front of the interface work fine, just nothing through the monitors.

I tried turning the record monitoring button on but nothing happens. I've got it setup with the ASIO driver. Any ideas what might be going on here?

Thanks!

SP

Hmmm. I don't use Reaper and am not familiar with it.
Do you have to set up an output bus?

Thanks!

SP

The 'Monitor Out' on the 1800 is a mirror image output of the headphone output. Just as a balanced LINE OUT. In other words it combines OUT 1/2 with the direct signal just like the headphone output does. The 'MIX' knob on the front of the 1800 controls it's output.

You are best connecting monitors to OUT 1/2 from the 1800 for monitors. There is never (well...) a need to hear direct input to the interface from monitors. That would cause feedback.

Now, as to why you have the issue here, it seems like you may have the outputs selected incorrectly in Reaper, or you have it wired weird. I am not a Reaper guy so I can't help as to that setup.

Question: Are you hearing playback from Reaper/Youtube/whatever through the 1800's headphone jack? You should definitely hear the exact same through monitors if hooked up to the 'Monitor' outputs on the back of the Tascam US 1800.

Last edited:
Turning on the record monitoring button is not the answer if you can hear through headphones.

You should be able to control monitoring volume through the speakers by turning the monitor knob on the Tascam.

If you are getting signal to the headphones, it means that the Tascam is getting the signal ok.

I know its a stupid question, but you checked the adjustment knobs on the back of the Yorkvilles, right? Bottom one (sensitivity) counterclockwise all the way is off.

Back