Help me pick an interface

twangbuck

Here's what I'm looking for:
USB interface
Max budget: $600.
Running Cubase LE on a Windows 7 PC
Need 4 mic/line inputs
Preferably at least one, if not two, will be high impedance instrument inputs for direct recording guitars (would like to try that in stereo, hence the preference for 2).
Two pairs of monitor outs
Don't care about midi.
Pre's need to sound great with GREAT sounding clarity. I've tried a Forcusrite Scarlett 2i4 and hated it. Wasn't clear enough sounding for me. I switched to a zoom r8 and had better luck, but now I want to move up from that.
Pre's also need to work great with outboard pre's (like a tube preamp).
Needs ADAT or SPDIF to expand to more inputs.
Needs to just work when I install it without giving me nightmares with installation and getting it to match up with my DAW.
Any suggestiions?

I would say for Cubase I'd go with the Steinberg UR824. But I see they went up in price. I have had both of mine for a couple years and they were $700 each then. There was a manufacturer rebate available then too plus I have bought many items from them with their support guy Nick Church.

Cubase LE will not allow you 'Control Room' so you won't be able to switch between monitor outputs via software. You might need an external monitor controller, manually do it in in Cubase, or maybe just power strips to turn of each pair for now. LE might allow you to setup two output buses but I kind of doubt it. Or upgrade to Cubase Pro. Sorry, it has been quite a while since I have used Cubase LE.

The UR824 has only 8 inputs but all are very clean and have -26db pads on each that work great with my Vintech X73i. Some people demand having isolated line inputs without running through preamp but I have had no issues. I have two UR824's and a cheap ADA800 that work flawlessly with Cubase for 24 input/24 output tracks.

Good lord, I feel like a salesman... I'm not. Just happy with my interfaces.

Best to ya whatever you buy. :)

Last edited:
Look at the new Tascam 16x8. I have the older US-1800 and I love it. Pre's are not premo but the are very good for an large combo type of interface. The extra 4 outputs might come in hand someday.

Back