help me decide between these interfaces!

usernamebob

Okay, I already have a 24 channel allen and heath deask with direct outs on each channel.. so pre amps arent at issue at all. so I'm basicaly only worried about sound quality, stability and of course price.

At the moment I've sort of short listed it to these options

TerraTec Phase 88 Rack
M-Audio DELTA1010 LT
M-Audio FIREWIRE 1814
Tascam FW-1804
Yamaha i88X
M-Audio DELTA1010

on all of these the adat interfaces would be a plus, but I'd much prefer to be happy with the first 8 converters.

so if anyone who's used these could tell me of their thoughts that would be great.

I used the M Audio Delta 1010 for some time, and its a decent unit. I would recommend the 1010 rather than the 1010LT so you can have the breakout box. Also, i hear the A/D converters are better on the 1010.

Have you looked at the presonus firepod? I hear alot of people saying its a great little unit. I have the firebox (the baby model....being a student has its flaws :() and i think its great. Although you can only have up to 2 inputs, the pres are great, and the ad converters are brilliant.

Anyway, hope some of that helped....

Good luck!

the firepod and fw-1884 are both excellent interfaces and good suggestions. the only draw back of them is that you would be paying for pre-amps that you don't need. if you wanted more pres, i would recommend these two as well.

if you don't want more pres, and are considering the delta1010, i would say to at least check out the echo LAYLA 3G. it is in the same league as the 1010 but has more value IMO. you get 8 analog ins (2 of which have preamps) plus you get ADAT lightpipe and s/pdif. www.echoaudio.com

I have a delta 1010 and its worked great for years. 8 in and 8 outs with spdif and midi. All you need if you already have a mixer.

If you have a laptop, might want to concider one of the firewire interfaces. In the event you need to be mobile, your ready.

David

Have been using the Tascam 1804 over here and it's been a solid/stable piece. The AD/DA's are good, and although the pres on it aren't that great, they make for usable spares when you run out. :) It's definately got a fantastic feature set for the price.

I have a Delta 1010 and love it. Sounds great! Before that, I had a Delta 66 (I still have it). The 1010 has better converters and more I/O (including 1 MIDI I/O). The 1010 also definitely has different/better converters than the 1010LT.

I have never had stability issues with either of my M-Audio cards...ever. When I first got my Delta 66, I believe i was running a 900 MHz AMD Athlon system. Back then, everyone was worried about compatibility, and always recommended intel. ha! I never had problems and have always used AMD for my DAWs. My currrent system is based on an Athlon64-3200+ and still no issues. (I'm not trying to start an intel vs. amd debate; just wanted to let you know that there won't be stability/compatibility issues with the M-Audio stuff as long as you use good components)

I wouldn't mind having additional digital i/o besides s/pdif, but don't need it. If you expect to need more digital i/o, you might want to consider something else.

I also use an Allen & Heath 24/16/16/2 SABER with direct outs. I have 2 x Delta 1010's and 2 x Delta 410's in my system.

I use the 2 1010's for recording and the 2 x 410's let me stream back 24 channels and 8 effects returns or 32 channels or any combination you can think of.

I run Cubase SX2, all works like a dream

I'd go with RME as well if you're gonna go the PCI route. I've used the earlier versions of the Multiface and 9562 pretty extensively and they are solid pieces of gear no doubt, not to mention the benefits of the coupled totalmix software.

I'd Go TerraTec Phase 88 Rack, thats my next move. I've used terratec stuff before and their stuff is "THE DOGS BOLLOCKS"...............

Back