Help with Firestudio Project and external hard drive

keyz

UPS just dropped off my new Firestudio Project. I wish I could say that setting it up has been fun. I've been running into problems. At first it was crackling and popping like crazy, but I got all the audio settings in order and I haven't noticed any more problems yet. However, I'm trying to get my firewire MyBook external hard drive connected simultaneously with the Firestudio Project. The manual says to plug the external from the extra port on the back of the FSP. I've done that and I get serious crackling and popping when I play back audio in Ableton Live or simply iTunes. :mad:

I'm running Leopard on a Macbook Pro with 2 GB RAM that was purchased Spring of 2006.

I tried registering on Presonus forums but I can't because their image verification script wouldn't load. I would appreciate any help or ideas. :(

EDIT: I've been giving 'er a test by mixing a previous song without any external hard drive connected and after a few minutes of switching fx and changing volume and stuff the crackling starts to come back. This thing just crackles... eek.. help please.

Last edited:
did you download the latest drivers from Presonus' website?

I'm pretty sure that I had trouble with an external firewire hard drive because of the chipset. Crackling and pops like you are describing. I got an external drive with an Oxford 911 chipset and haven't had those problems since. However, that doesn't answer the question about using the internal hard drive.

Have you tried messing with your buffer settings in Ableton or the Fire Control software?

did you download the latest drivers from Presonus' website?

I'm pretty sure that I had trouble with an external firewire hard drive because of the chipset. Crackling and pops like you are describing. I got an external drive with an Oxford 911 chipset and haven't had those problems since. However, that doesn't answer the question about using the internal hard drive.

Have you tried messing with your buffer settings in Ableton or the Fire Control software?

I downloaded the latest drivers first thing. I've also tried different buffer settings in Ableton. The FireControl software for Macs doesn't allow you to change the buffer size from there.

It's weird... if I make the buffer size smaller in Ableton there is less crackle and pop, but not gone. I always thought that by increasing the buffer size you get less crackle and better audio quality.

I would try to call them if you're in the states. I had a guy help me out there (Ben I think), but we went through 2 units and couldn't get it working right. I ended up returning it and will look for something better.

You could take the easy road and just use the internal harddrive when you're recording/mixing, and keep the extranal disk for your other stuff.

Back