Help finding a drum pad controller please (specific considerations within)

88fingers

Hullo,
I'm looking for a drum pad controller. A little bit about me first (I promise it will be relevant):

I'm a drummer myself, and my primary style would most likely be classified as minimalist funk/jazz/fusion - my largest drummer inspirations, and those who I play most similarly to (in style, not skill level!), are Dennis Chambers, Carter Beauford, Colaiuta, and maybe a bit of Cobham and Gadd. In particular, the thing about those drummers that I would say I am most influenced by, and most often emulate in my own playing, is their hi-hat work. I like to play rapid hi-hat parts, with plenty of rolling, grace notes, and quick accents, and I've played on electronic equipment before which simply doesn't pick up all of my strokes.

So with that being said, I am looking for a drum pad controller to do some recording on. For reasons I don't need to go into here, I am in a situation for probably the next year or so where I will not be able to record my actual drum kit. I'm looking to try a completely electronically-recorded album, and for that, I need a drum pad controller which has a pretty rapid response so that I can get the hi-hat work that I like.

Whenever I look up controllers, I see a lot of terms like "velocity sensitive triggers," "Comfortable and easy to use," and "percussive performance," but coming from a situation where I have sold digital pianos in the past (and the hammer action responsiveness is a HUGE deal to people who are used to traditional pianos), I am a bit wary of any of these products which don't specifically speak about the quick (or otherwise) responsiveness of the drum pads.

So yeah, I'm hoping someone can help me here. I would prefer not to spend over $300, but am willing to spend more if $300 isn't reasonable (I don't know what to expect with these prices).

Thanks!

What about an e-kit (looks like a drum set) and run it into a VSi like Superior Drummer or EZ drummer? I think that would suite you pretty good and I know I have seen some low end kits go for around $500US. Just need to check the velocity sensitivity and how the area maps to the sound samples. (Like if you hit the center of a cymbal should map to a sound, verses hit the edge of it)

SD was going for $100 (not sure if the sale is still on), MIDI into your interface and dude, earphones on and you have a full kit to record and it doesn't take up much room and little sounds Total about $600, but very good to record with if you can't do the live drums and gives you what you are use to.

Food for thought.

Thanks for the response DM60. I unfortunately don't have room for an electronic kit, or I would definitely like go that route - I have a friend that's been trying to sell me his TD12's for the last several months. But for about the next year, while my wife and I are building a house and live in a tiny studio apartment, I'm only going to have a desk and a keyboard as far as space goes.

I use this: Yamaha DD-65 Digital Drum Kit, Warehouse Resealed

Put it on a snare stand and a stool. Not perfect, but touch sensitive. You could probably find one for pretty cheap. I map mine to a kit in SD (using the learn function), and when needs does pretty good. Had a Hihat switch and Bass switch (not a peddle, but you use your foot). That or something like that would work well.

Back