Help choosing a sound card (Audio Interface) with 1 xlr input

Yes . . . why not?

Your demands are modest. This will do what you want and it is affordable.

in time you may want to upgrade.

ya, it is common to spend the money, and then, spend it again : )

One MIC works for me, but many people like two on acoustic. If find you are going after sound; "My recording doesn't sound as good as so and so", then you may want MIC options.

Once you start recording you will almost certainly want to experiment with stereo miking techniques for your guitar. Even if you don't use it initially, I'd suggest you go for 2 XLR inputs to cover the likely future. Two inputs don't cost double one and I can (almost) guarantee will save you money in the future.

The thing is i already have Presonus Audiobox with 2 XLR mic plugins but i'm building a new mini studio away from "civilization" where i can record, and have my peace - if you know what i mean.
If i want i can use Audiobox but i'm not recording with 2 mic's anyway beacuse i don't have them. I use Rode NT1 for what i need, and for that i need just one XLR input.
This little country studio will more likely be a place to build ideas and record maybe with no outside noise and interuptions from phone, children etc :)
Thx for all your tips, and i definitely look into UMC22.

Let's say i want to record in stereo. What stereo mics would you suggest for acoustic metal strings guitar recording ? I'm interested in low budget and mid buget mics. Thx

If it just the extra device, just make sure it has the quality for importing into a project.

I used to shop bargain stereo (and I'd still like to have a stereo LDC), but the single LDC seems to have vanished. I'm in no hurry to go there, but I may just try some Behringer sold with the stereo bar. I, actually, have some old Concertone small dynamic tape recorder MICs that I'm happy with

Let's say i want to record in stereo. What stereo mics would you suggest for acoustic metal strings guitar recording ? I'm interested in low budget and mid buget mics. Thx

If you already have an NT1 with which you are happy, you could simply get another.

But there are many possibilities that will suit your purposes.

If you like Rode, you could get a matched pair of M5 mikes. Or if you want to spend more, a pair of matched NT5 mikes.

Well it's been a while and i cant get my hands on Behringer UM2 U-Phoria card that i will use for recording so i found this baby
Akai EIE AudioPro | Akai EIE audio interfejs
What i'm conserned that it has a bit low specs Resolution 16-bit, 44.1/48.1kHz !!
Is that a problem for recording acoustic guitar with mic?
Is this an solid card for recordings because it's on sale here and it cost exactly like Presonus Audiobox USB AudioPro | PreSonus AudioBox USB audio interfejs
Thx for replying !:guitar:

Hi Saloje. I would be VERY wary of the EIE interface. It promised a lot a few years ago, 4 mic channels for not a lot of money but it does not seem to have taken the projjy studio world by storm and there have been rumblings of driver issues.
That said, I am pretty sure the 'Pro' version will be 24 bit recording, it might not handle higher than 48kHz but that, in itself, would not bother me. I have NO information for instance as to how quiet the mic pres are?

There are plenty of other very good interfaces to look for. Budget but good is the Alesis i02 Express. Better and noted to have very clean mic amps is the Steinberg UR22. The latest, 'gen ll' Focusrites also review well (soundonsound.com) . My personal fave' is the Native Instruments KA6. The Zoom UAC-2 is very good I am told but rather poor value IMHO.

Dave.

Notwithstanding Dave's observations about drivers, the quality would be fine. Recording at 16bit, 44.1 or 48khz delivers very acceptable results, and is not likely to be the weakest link in your recording chain. That said, 24bit at 44.1 or 48 would be better. There is no real need to go above this.

Notwithstanding Dave's observations about drivers, the quality would be fine. Recording at 16bit, 44.1 or 48khz delivers very acceptable results, and is not likely to be the weakest link in your recording chain. That said, 24bit at 44.1 or 48 would be better. There is no real need to go above this.

Noted Mr G but! The problem with a 16bit interface is that 'they have done it on the cheap'! You would expect a 16 bit interface to deliver a bit better than a 96dB noise floor? My experience is limited but I have never seen one that does. The Behringer UCA 202 e.g. JUST gets to -83dBFS yes, good enough for most things but indicates I would suggest that the analogue circuits are not optimized for best noise.
My A&H ZED10 is an early 16 bit device and is better than the Behrry but still does not quite 'crack' -90dB. Again, more than quiet enough for almost any use, especially live bands which I think is the idea.

Also, along with 16 bit USB often goes 'generic' drivers and lousy latency and NO ASIO drivers. I have not, as I say had any hands on experience of an EIE (love to) but I would hate to steer the OP to a bad place.

Dave.

Noted Mr G but! The problem with a 16bit interface is that 'they have done it on the cheap'!

I expect a contemporary 16 bit interface may be done on the cheap, but it was not always the case. Early interfaces such as Turtle Beach, Isis and Juli@ were well engineered, and had very respectable specs.

I note in this review (which regards the EIE favourably) it mentions it can do 24bit and 96khz.

Akai EIE Pro |

I expect a contemporary 16 bit interface may be done on the cheap, but it was not always the case. Early interfaces such as Turtle Beach, Isis and Juli@ were well engineered, and had very respectable specs.

I note in this review (which regards the EIE favourably) it mentions it can do 24bit and 96khz.

[url=http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/akai

Yes, I quite agree. CD is of course 16 bit and (despite the protestations of the beardy tweaks!) has as much dynamic range as anyone really needs or can even make use of.

Ref the EIE 'Pro' I saw that review and was very disappointed. No mention iirc of latency and other matters (I shall have to read it again and familiarize myself with the things that hissed me off!) . The fact is, several months after the winter launch of the Pro, Akai released a second, cheaper model (actually the 'cheap' one was the first, advertised price and the Pro more expensive I think?) which was 16 bit only and had limited recording, i.e. you could not run 4 tracks at once.

I followed the fortunes of the interface for over a year, trying several times to get a sensible specification and user manual out of Akai. None such was ever forthcoming and so I bought the KA6 and therefore probably owe Akai a pint or six for their leaden feet! But, I still will not recommend the AI to the newb HR people.
As I say, I would love to get my hands on one to try. (son LURVES VU meters and tape!) but am waiting for a very cheap one to turn up at Cash Generators.

Dave.

The silver faced one is the "Pro" version, does 24 bit recording and requires a proprietary driver installation.

The red faced version is the less expensive one, and is limited to 16 bit recording, it does not have a proprietary driver. If I remember correctly, on a mac using the built in core audio drivers it will do the full 4x4 I/O, while on a PC using the generic windows driver it will only show up as a 2x2 I/O, this can be remedied however by using the ASIO for All driver which will enable use of the full 4x4 I/O.

I bought the silver faced one, had major issues with the driver for it on my laptop, it would only work for a few minutes then the sound would become all static-y shortly followed by the driver being "lost", after a re-boot it would go though the same routine all over again, I tried for a couple of days to make it work, downloading the latest driver, etc.

In the end I returned it and got the red faced one, installed the ASIO for All driver and have had no issues with it, I even bought a second one to leave at another location so I don't have to lug as much stuff back and forth, been using them for a few years now with no problems.

Because on a PC it is really using the windows generic driver wrapped by the ASIO for All driver, it can't quite reach low enough latency to fully utilize software monitoring, it does however have direct monitoring, and it is possible to get some reverb happening via software monitoring to mix with the dry direct monitoring for tracking.

Thanks for that Strryder. Sounds like the driver issues I had with a Behrry BCA2000, that was an early USB 2.0 interface. AFACT the Red one is USB 1.1? No big deal, I had an M-A Fastrack pro that was 1.1, you could only use all 4 I/O (2 annylog, S/PDIF I/O) you just needed to diss say, digital out and it would run 24bits.

There seems to be considerable unrest about Win 10 operation. Akai insist the 8/8.1 driver works, lots of peeps say BS!

I shall stick with my KA6. That just works ON everything. all the time, bloody well.

Dave.

My Tascam US-122 was around USD60 off eBait, plus I got the MIC and headphones. A new user would just have to worry about drivers and OS.

Hi Saloje. I would be VERY wary of the EIE interface. It promised a lot a few years ago, 4 mic channels for not a lot of money but it does not seem to have taken the projjy studio world by storm and there have been rumblings of driver issues.
That said, I am pretty sure the 'Pro' version will be 24 bit recording, it might not handle higher than 48kHz but that, in itself, would not bother me. I have NO information for instance as to how quiet the mic pres are?

There are plenty of other very good interfaces to look for. Budget but good is the Alesis i02 Express. Better and noted to have very clean mic amps is the Steinberg UR22. The latest, 'gen ll' Focusrites also review well (soundonsound.com) . My personal fave' is the Native Instruments KA6. The Zoom UAC-2 is very good I am told but rather poor value IMHO.

Dave.

Thx Dave i always appreciate your straight answers. I must addmit that i tought of the EiE interface a bit noobish because a specifications, i mean who would chose a 16 bit over 24 bit , but that cool looks of the case got my mojo working >> damn fool:facepalm:.
Ofc i will look for better ones just the EiE cought my eye wit this vintage design ( and Vu meters ), but as we all know the important thing are in the box not the box itself. So thx for your answer Dave,and i will look for beter sound cards and promise not to look with my eyes :)

Saloje.

Back