Help choosing audio interface!

Thisnameistaken

Hey guys.

I want to get an audio interface. USB 2.0 or Firewire. I'd like to be able to mic up a drum kit so 8 pres would be nice. I'd like ADAT. I hear hi-z input is better for guitars, so that would be a great addition, and direct monitoring is an absolute must.

I was all ready to get a saffire pro 40 as it has all these features according to the "home recording soundcard wizard" (though i'm not sure if its correct on it having hi-z input, but no biggie) but I read somewhere else on another forum they are not good for tracking drums.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 Input Levels

That's the link.

So my question is should I save up a bit more and get a higher end audio interface or should I be alright? And if you think I should please give me some suggestions.

Others I were considering were:

Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
MOTU 896mk3
8pre
Traveler Mk3

RME Fireface 800
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48

Last 2 are a little pricey and only 4 pres but I can ADAT more pres and if it gets the job done that much better and is worth it i'd spring for one of them.

The saffire Pro 40 is very nice! It is two very nice DI (hi-z) inputs in fronts. Along with 8 analog preamps, 8 ch adat and 2 ch spdif. The Liquid 56 can upgrade to 8 more adat in/outs. So very expand-friendly!:D You should go for FireWire and NOT usb for so many channels. Usb are so unstable transfer rate and it will be alot of latency through usb.

You don't need hi-z. you could mic up your cab/amp as well. You'll have to experiment with your sound:D The saffire PRO 40 have no monitoring problems, all options you want and need; 2 seperate headphones out (with own volume knob), stereo monitor outs as well as 6 or 8 (don't remembe) outputs. The monitor volume can be adjusted from the front as well. Hope this helped. I can't explain how happy I am for the Focusrite. They are known for their nice pre-amps.

Good luck and let us know when you've got some:D

In the link you gave, they also diagnose and solve the problem...in a few different ways.

Though I never tried it on drums, I can tell you the MOTU 896mk3 is a VERY nice interface at that pricepoint. I got it for a steal but never really needed all the inputs, so turned it over for a profit lol Wish I'd kept it now as I'm looking to start recording my drumkit.

I have tracked numerous drum sessions with my Pro 40 and have never ran into a problem with having too much gain. In fact, I have always had to turn up the gain on every channel in order to get a good tracking volume (avg. -18 to -12 dB, peak at -6 dB).

If you end up having problems with your pres being too hot, even with the pads on channels 1 and 2 engaged, you can always buy some inline pads. They generally run pretty cheap.

Back