Help! Can't get any sound while recording...

dsideb

I recently just purchased two CAD CM217 condenser microphones, along with a Saffire 6 USB interface.

Basically, whenever I try to record using these mics, nothing happens. There is no input audio signal. I know it's not the interface, because whenever I line my guitar directly into the interface it records fine.

I'm using two Planet Waves Classic Series XLR Female to 1/4" Mic Cable cables, which I picked up on a whim at my local music store to connect my microphones to my interface.

I'm new to this all. I'm pretty sure something isn't right with my equipment but I can't tell what. Suggestions?

Condenser microphones need to be powered by something called phantom power in order to work. Phantom power can't travel down a 1/4" plug, so you'll need to get yourself some regular XLR male to XLR female cables. They'll plug right into the front of your interface. To engage phantom power on your interface you just have to hit the 48V button in between your two gain knobs.

Quick tip: It's recommended to plug the mics in before turning on phantom power and to turn off phantom power before you unplug the mics.

Back