Help with buying a soundcard

carbonscoring

So it's been stressed with me that i should buy another soundcard for my machine due to the fact that i want to record simtanous tracks off my drum set all at once. Im using cakewalk pro audio 9 with a sound blaster live, pentium 800 mhz, and 128 mb of ram. I've looked at several cards (via online) Aardvark, Dakota, ect and all seem great except for the money factor. Is There any way that someone knows that i can basically get more inputs going to my machine without haveing to pay the extra cash? Maybe a mixing board? I have acess to 8 track Adat if that can help but i dont think it will. If it does come down to buying a heavy duty card does anyone have any suggestions on which one. They all seem great from the Web sites point of view.

Thanks--------------

Ok well how many inputs do you need? And what componets do you already have? Like do you already have a mic pre? etc.... You could go with a Omnistudio for about $400.00, and it has 2 inputs with mic pres on board, along with 2 headphone outs and monitor outs, pretty great for the price. If you already have a mic pre, then you could get like a MAudio (Same company that makes the Omni) Audiophile for about $150.00, but then you will need a mixer for more inputs, but I mean you can really use ANY mixer you want, like a $100.00 beringer and then you are up to $250.00 there. Or you could just go with a with the cheap mixer to your SBlive, but I would recomend getting a better soundcard. But now if you dont have a mic pre, or you need to run more mics at the same time then your mic pre will allow, I would go with a mixer with good mic pre's, like a Mackie VLZ-Pro. I dont think you really need a Aardvark personally. But just tell us some more info.

board or new card

Well i have a mic PA, i assume thats what your talking about when you suggest "mic Pre". Sorry im rather new at this recording deal. But, anyway i use that compliments of my friend and i believe that has two inputs on it. Thats what he usalley sings out of. Other than that i just have the computer software. I have Cakewalk pro Audio 9 and Sonar. I also have Acid ( not sure which version) most of these were givin by friends, i have stuck with CW9 since that was the first one i've used and seem to know well. My computer is well stacked im not worried in that area. I use a Creative labs "soundblaster live", it seems ok but, im sure there is better. I have and array of mics and misc. stuff. I have acess to 8 track Adat. One of the original blacktops. But, i dont have a mixing board. Should i go the mixing board route to my computer? I possible could use the adat as well but, would that be more benifical than going with soundcard that has more inputs?

Hope this helps.....thanks for any suggestions.

how many $$$ can you spend?.....

http://bayviewproaudio.com/ProductDetail.asp?Products_Action=Find('ProductID','aq10')&Products_Position=FIL%253A++Manufacturer+LIKE+%2527%252AAardvark%252A%2527ORD%253AABS%253A3KEY%253Aaq10PAR%253A

$750, but this will do everything you want and more......

it would be possible to use the ADAT to record and transfer tracks to the PC, but you would still be in need of a mixer, plus a card to use to transfer the tracks digitally......

Back