Help... Behringer XENYX 1204USB Problem

msantarc

I'm trying to do some basic recording using my Behringer XENYX 1204 USB mixer.
My PC (Win 10) can see the mixer (Line USB Audio Codec),
My monitors are connected to the mixer.
I can play back through the mixer, but I get nothing at all when I record.
If I connect my 11 rack to the same USB port, I get sound recorded (Crackly but at least SOMETHING)
Am I missing something? a switch pressed that shouldn't be or not pressed that should be?)
I tried to upload a picture of my board, but it doesn't seem to be letting me upload.

What DAW (recording software) are you using? You need to select the Behr as your audio input device in the DAW.

^ What he said.

And, if you can confirm this for me, OP, I believe you can only record in stereo. Perhaps if you don't pan any of the tracks and just arm one of them, you can make a mono recording?

What DAW (recording software) are you using? You need to select the Behr as your audio input device in the DAW.

I've tried Reaper and Audacity,
Audacity has three options for input:
Microsoft Sound Mapper
Line (USB Audio Codec)
Microphone (Webcam Pro)
I have tried all three. When I set it to Web Cam, I can record sound.
With it set to sound mapper I get nothing and with it set to Line (USB Audio Codec), I get nothing.

I've tried Reaper and Audacity,
Audacity has three options for input:
Microsoft Sound Mapper
Line (USB Audio Codec)
Microphone (Webcam Pro)
I have tried all three. When I set it to Web Cam, I can record sound.
With it set to sound mapper I get nothing and with it set to Line (USB Audio Codec), I get nothing.
I'm not trying anything more fancy than stereo. I actually have Audacity set to mono, panned straight up center.

I must ask: do you have the main volume slider/knob turned up on the mixer? I'm pretty sure the USB volume on that mixer is tied to the mains volume.

Resolved.. sort of

I must ask: do you have the main volume slider/knob turned up on the mixer? I'm pretty sure the USB volume on that mixer is tied to the mains volume.

While the mains and the ALT 3-4 were turned up, this got me thinking, and I noticed that I had the AUX sends turned down. Now that I've turned AUX Sends up, I'm getting recorded sound, so thanks!

Unfortunately, the sound that plays back is awful. I get a "swirling/recorded in a barrel like sound" even though I have no effects on the track.

1) Plug headphones into the mixer (assume it has a headphone jack), same sound?
2) Plug headphones into computer's headphone jack, use the built-in soundcard for sound (disconnect the mixer) - this will check to see if the 'swirling sound' was recorded or is an artifact of playback with the mixer.

Next check yoru WIndows audio settings - see this thread: Newbie advice needed pls: Background Noise and Whistling Sound when Recording to PC

By chance - are you using a laptop with a built-in mic?

I am sorry to tell you this but these budget 16 bit USB mixer are really not good for recording purposes.

I don't know your exact intentions but the USB side is often noisy and prone to 'whistles'. The basic analogue side of the mixer is actually pretty good and you might get better results feeding it into the 3.5mm jack on the laptop. Note however that you will have to do some tweaking in Windows Sounds to knock back the sensitivity.

Off to me bed now but can walk you through some stuff the morrow.

Dave.

I bought a Xenyx USB mixer and found it had a high whistling sound that recorded if the output volume was too high. Brought it right back and got a Mackie USB mixer that had a separate volume control for the USB which solved that problem, but if cranked up, still had the whistling issue.

Yes Mike, I think the original idea of those 16bit mixers was for one or two man live use, giving local control to say a guitarist/singer or maybe with a keyboard. The resultant mix was then sent to the PA, often a House PA.
When so used, in a noisy pub, the recording of the 2 track send would be entirely adequate but try the same stunt in a quiet bedroom and the wheels fall off.

Most of the mnfctrs of such mixers have now woken up to the fact that people WANT quality recording and are providing 24 bit operation with much improved noise levels. A 24 bit 'mixer' would be sort of ok for home recording but a proper AI generally much better from an operational point of view.

Dave.

I replaced my Desktop PC in the chain with an old laptop and the problem disappeared. Sounds like either a bad sound card or a messed up PC sound configuration. I think I'm better off with a dedicated machine for recording anyway.
Thanks for all the attempts to help. I was pulling out what little hair I have left.

Hello, Are you using ASIO4ALL ? I Have a X1222 that records from USB. I tend not to use the USB side and have the main out going into my soundcard. Either way should work . Just make sure you check though everything . I sometimes even forget mute is on and spend 10mins trying to find out whats wrong then DOH!!!
Ah sorry didn't see your last post!! Alls well then :)

I replaced my Desktop PC in the chain with an old laptop and the problem disappeared. Sounds like either a bad sound card or a messed up PC sound configuration. I think I'm better off with a dedicated machine for recording anyway.
Thanks for all the attempts to help. I was pulling out what little hair I have left.

The computer's built-in soundcard would have nothing to do with recording the USB output from the mixer. The mixer becomes your 'soundcard' when you do this.

I could be wrong here, but an organisation that I am "loosely" associated with has one of these mixers and some time ago they wanted to play something into a laptop via the USB connection, but got no sound.

I think that they ultimately contacted Behringer (or the local agent) and were informed that the USB connection was only for audio into the console or to undertake updates to the mixer ---- I am not sure which one of these they were told it was for, BUT it definitely appeared that it was not for audio out.

Again I could be wrong but it could be worth a check.

David

I could be wrong here, but an organisation that I am "loosely" associated with has one of these mixers and some time ago they wanted to play something into a laptop via the USB connection, but got no sound.

I think that they ultimately contacted Behringer (or the local agent) and were informed that the USB connection was only for audio into the console or to undertake updates to the mixer ---- I am not sure which one of these they were told it was for, BUT it definitely appeared that it was not for audio out.

Again I could be wrong but it could be worth a check.

David

Well, they must have gotten hold of a "Saturday" girl or boy with more attitude than sense. For all its shortcomings, that mixer CAN send audio TO a PC and play it OUT of a PC via USB.

Dave (another one!)

I have a X1204USB with FX. For the few times I've used it into a Windows 7 desktop I've had no problems with getting audio recorded or the quality of the sound using USB. A USB mixer isn't my first choice to record with, but does work if you don't mind its limitations.

Back