Help!!!!

Mozart1220

Sorry if this is a repeat thread, but there are so many..

I am using Sonar 8 PE and Reason 5

My computer is a PC with Windows XP Pro version 2002 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4500 @2.2Ghz 1.98 GB ram I have 2 500GB hard drives. My Sound card is a Soundblaster Live. Yeah...my rig is old, but I'm on a budget.

I do my recording my running a Mackie Pro FX12 into the stereo line in on my card. I only record one track at a time so that works fine. Anything I run through the mixer records fine. When I plug my Yamaha keyboard into the Hdmi using an M-Audio MIDI cable, it too works fine as a control surface just through Reason.

But when I record even a couple tracks on Sonar and then set up Reason as a rewire device, there is a latency in the keyboard making it hard to put down anything but background pads. It's driving me nuts!

I am pretty resourceful figuring out how to get stuff recorded but I can't figure this latency. PLEASE HELP!!

Sorry if this is a repeat thread, but there are so many..

I am using Sonar 8 PE and Reason 5

My computer is a PC with Windows XP Pro version 2002 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4500 @2.2Ghz 1.98 GB ram I have 2 500GB hard drives. My Sound card is a Soundblaster Live. Yeah...my rig is old, but I'm on a budget.

I do my recording my running a Mackie Pro FX12 into the stereo line in on my card. I only record one track at a time so that works fine. Anything I run through the mixer records fine. When I plug my Yamaha keyboard into the Hdmi using an M-Audio MIDI cable, it too works fine as a control surface just through Reason.

But when I record even a couple tracks on Sonar and then set up Reason as a rewire device, there is a latency in the keyboard making it hard to put down anything but background pads. It's driving me nuts!

I am pretty resourceful figuring out how to get stuff recorded but I can't figure this latency. PLEASE HELP!!

The Soundblaster is your nemesis. You need to run a soundcard (interface) made for recording that has ASIO drivers that will keep your latency down. The Soundblaster stuff is made mostly for playback-not recording of multiple tracks.

I actually find it strange that they haven't tried to make something that was worthy for multi track recording. That would surely confuse us tho. lol!

Get an interface man. Plenty of info on them here. :)

Thanks, but as I am on a limited (actually nonexistent) budget right now. An interface is not in my immediate future, even with a friend that works at Guitar Center. I downloaded ASIO4ALL but unless I'm just not setting it up right, it's not much help. I guess for now I'll just have to record all my drum and keyboard tracks on reason and THEN all my "real" instruments through the mixer.

I'm burdened with a computer that just can't keep up. I DO still have my Reason 4 and Sonar 6 disks. Maybe that would help as I don't remember the latency back when I was running those.

I'm burdened with a computer that just can't keep up.

Your computer is fine. It is not the problem . . . well not directly. The culprit is the soundblaster, how you are using it now and how it generates audio.

I understand that your budget is zero . . . but an interface is the key to getting latency-free work

If there are any 'buffer' related settings in your software, try adjusting them down. As has been posted, most of us use ASIO4ALL as the audio driver in our host and it will allow adjustment of the buffers. Another idea, if the Soundblaster is not your primary soundcard and you have an onboard soundcard (built into the motherboard) you can try switching to it. If you do have two sound cards be sure to disable (BIOS) the onboard card and re-test. Occasionally there can be conflicts when two sound cards are enabled. Just a thought, best of luck!

Just an FYI - most of us DO NOT use ASIO4ALL - it's not true Asio, but used as a stopgap when you don't have true Asio drivers for your interface.
To the OP - you can often get used interfaces (1 mic preamp) for under $70, but look for one with 2 inputs plus MIDI and save yourself some cash in the long run when you want to upgrade.

Just an FYI - most of us DO NOT use ASIO4ALL - it's not true Asio, but used as a stopgap when you don't have true Asio drivers for your interface.
To the OP - you can often get used interfaces (1 mic preamp) for under $70, but look for one with 2 inputs plus MIDI and save yourself some cash in the long run when you want to upgrade.

Well, I don't have $10 to spend on gear at the moment. Just too many other things that need doing here at the old homestead. I DID load ASIO4ALL and after a couple adjustments everything is working fine. When I DO get some extra cash for an interface I'll go that route, in fact I actually have an insider at Guitar Center so I can get great deals. As it happens I COULD be looking at a tasty windfall in about a year, and I'll buy a completely new state of the art computer and all the toys I need to do this right.

I DO appreciate the help though. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

Put a couple of dollars aside as often as you can. When you get to $40, check craiglist or other similar sites and you'll probably see an interface pop up in that range. Presonus, Maudio, Tascam and Zoom (the portable recorders can be used as an interface) and plenty of others. If there's a Guitar Center near you they always have a used Audiobox for about $50. Just a suggestion.

Back