HD24 synced to Sonar 3 for sequencer only?

rushfan33

I don't like DAWs! I am old school and I wear it proud. I want to push faders and I want the best of both worlds (multi-track recorder without tape). So I bought an Alesis HD24. To me that is the best of both worlds, along with a Mackie 24-8 with tons of knobs and faders. Having said that here's my question. Many years ago we used a JL Cooper sync box to sync a sequencer to my ADATs. It allowed me to write keyboard parts note by note with my mouse. This is necessary since I can't play keys. So now, with the HD24, I want to do the same thing. I have my old school Alesis QSR.6 and I want to achieve the same ability. How would I do that? I'm not the one who set it up years ago.

Here's a typical situation. I write a song, record all the parts straight to the HD24. But I think it needs a cool synth pattern or piano part that's too difficult to play. So I go to Cakewalk, write the parts, then those notes generate the sounds through my synth, which is hooked up to another track on the HD24. They get recorded and I move on. From what I can understand, my HD would be the master, I would then need a midi interface connected to my computer, which is plugged into the synth as well. Cakewalk would be set to external clock and slave to the HD. Where it gets muddy for me is instrument definitions and all the setting for each device. What is a good midi interface? Is there an easier way to achieve my goal besides learning to play piano?

Thanks in advance!

Strange... I searched this same question about 9 months after I originally posted. Though I got now response here I found this posted on another forum I've never heard of... very strange. Compare what's below to my post above. He got no reply either!! Lol This is from HD24 synced to Sonar 3 for sequencer only?

HD24 synced to Sonar 3 for sequencer only?

I don't adore DAWs! I am old school and I wear it proud. I want to push faders and I want the finest of both worlds (multi-monitor recpurchase without tape). So I acquired an Alesis HD24. To me that is the really best of each worlds, along with a Mackie 24-8 with tons of knobs and faders. Having mentioned that here's my question. fairly a few years ago we used a JL Cooper sync box to sync a sequencer to my ADATs. It allowed me to write keyboard components note by note with my mouse. This is critical mainly because I cannot play keys. So now, with the HD24, I wish to do the same thing. I have my old college Alesis QSR.6 and I wish to achieve the same ability. How would I do that? I'm not the one who set it up years ago.

Here's a typical situation. I write a song, report all the components straight to the HD24. but I believe it needs a cool synth pattern or piano part that's too tough to play. So I visit Cakewalk, write the components, then these notes generate the sounds more than my synth, which is hooked up to an additional monitor on the HD24. They get fileed and I move on. From what I can understand, my HD would be the master, I would then require a midi interface connected to my computer, which is plugged into the synth as well. Cakewalk would be set to external clock and slave to the HD. Where it gets muddy for me is instrument definitions and all the setting for each device. What is a great midi interface? Is there an easier way to achieve my goal besides learning to play piano?

Read more: HD24 synced to Sonar 3 for sequencer only? HD24 synced to Sonar 3 for sequencer only?
Follow us: @Questlot on Twitter

So.. 'he is the.. or you forgot you were he..?
'He also posted (apparently) before you did.
Hmm, so how to be Shure, which is you. 'He or the?

".. we got to talking about my brother Samuel, and he told me my explanations were confusing.
" 'I suppose he is dead,' I said. 'Some said that he was dead and some said that he wasn't.'
" 'Did you bury him without knowing whether he was dead or not?' asked the reporter.
" 'There was a mystery,' said I. 'We were twins, and one day when we were two weeks old - that is, he was one week old and I was one week old - we got mixed up in the bathtub, and one of us drowned.
We never could tell which. One of us had a strawberry birthmark on the back of his hand. There it is on my hand. This is the one that was drowned. There's no doubt about it.'
" 'Where's the mystery?' he said.
" 'Why, don't you see how stupid it was to bury the wrong twin?' I answered. I didn't explain it any more because he said the explanation confused him. To me it is perfectly plain. "

Back