Having lots of issues, can anyone give me some advice?

BoneDigger

Here's my setup:
Computer: Asus U46E-BAL5, I5 processor, 8gb ram
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Edition, 64bit
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, USB interface
DAW: Reaper and Mixcraft
Monitors: Rokit 6 (pair)
Microphones: Samson C02 (pair) and MXL V67g

All drivers have been updated and all software is up-to-date for the DAWs and interface.

I have gone into the settings and disabled the factory sound device (speakers) and enabled the 2i2. The control panel shows that the 2i2 is the active driver for both recording and playback. I have no issues with it jumping drivers. Every time I turn off the machine and reboot, it always comes back with the 2i2 as the driver. So far, so good.

Here's my biggest problem:

If I leave a project and then come back after the computer has gone to sleep, I no longer get sound from my speakers. I'll check and recheck, and the drivers are still setup correctly. If I reboot the computer, SOMETIMES, it'll work, or sometimes I have to reboot multiple times before it will play sound from the speakers. When I do a "check" it says the device is working properly, but no sound comes out. After a while, It'll start working correctly and usually continues to do so until the computer goes to sleep again. I can't say that anything I do, other than rebooting, will fix the issue. In other words, I haven't found any setting that gets changed.

Any ideas?

Okay, on to problem 2:

When using Reaper, it doesn't want to work well with my EZDrummer. When I use it in Reaper and try to drag a "groove" into Reaper, it says "1 of 1 files failed". I can get it to work if I always open Reaper as an administrator, but that seems kind of silly to have to do all the time. Is there a fix for this? Also, sometimes when I try to use EZ Drummer in Reaper it says I haven't registered EZ Drummer yet and I have to go through the process again, which is lengthy. Any ideas?

Last problem (for now):
In Mixcraft, I have noticed that files that I save sometimes get corrupted and will stop playing part of the way through, or they get little glitches in them that basically ruin what I have done so far. Any idea what causes this?

I appreciate any and all help guys. Thanks!

Todd

With audio interfaces, you NEVER want to just sleep the computer.
Turn off any 'energy saving' settings.
A daw computer needs full attention of the exterior devices.

Sounds like you have a problem in EZDrummer. I never have any problems on mine.
Talk to their help line.

Ditto what Tim O said. Turn off the energy savings crap. Have you tried reinstalling EZD? I've had occasional issues with W7 telling me I need to sign on as an administrator to update something, but I hit 'enter' it does it (I'm the only user on the damn computer, of course I'm an administrator!)

+1 get rid of any power saving. If the computer turns off PCI bus, USB ports, etc expect any kind of problem. Best is to save the project and exit from the application. Bump up your power savings profile or eliminate it all together. Coming out of 'sleep' or Windows 'hibernation' has always been a problem for me personally since Windows 95. Best of luck!

I wanted to give all of you an update on my situation. I have gone through the settings and changed my computer to maximum power and took it out of sleep mode. I'm still having issues with the 2i2 and I'm just not sure what's causing it...

I was at Guitar Center a couple of days ago and decided to buy a different interface, knowing that if it gave me problems I could return it. So, I came home and set it up, downloaded the drivers and went to work with it. Surprisingly, the new unit (M-Audio M-track) does NOT have the same issues. I have been using it for the last two days and SO FAR there have been no problems with it in Reaper or Mixcraft.

So, I can only deduce that the problem must be with the drivers for the 2i2. I can say that I think I like the recordings from the 2i2 more than the M-audio, but I'm not completely sure yet. I need to play around with it some more before making a final judgement.

Todd

Last edited:
I think the Focusrite's preamps are better, but if its a driver issue, and the latest ones are working for you ...

The 2i2 is a crap interface. Period. I have multiple friends that have mad issues with them. Sell it and get an M-Audio, even. One buddy of mine has it and it REFUSES to work with Pro Tools. Another one has it and it keeps causing Pro Tools errors despite no CPU load. Focusrite have really fucked up with this rubbish interface.

Cheers :)

Back