Hardware Decision

KillRoy

I am looking at purchasing a USB interface and software and take a crack at this whole digital recording thing. I've narrowed it down too two options and would appreciate any input. They are both relatively similar in cost so I am primarily looking at usability and quality. I will be running my setup on a Athlon XP 2000 w/ 512mb RAM and 7200rpm 60GB HD, as well as a PIV 2.4GHZ laptop with 512mb RAM (this is why I am going with a USB interface and not PCI).

Option 1:
Tascam US-122 comes with Cubase LE and Gigastudio 3 LE

Option 2:
M-Audio Mobile Pre USB comes with Ableton Live 4 LE and will purchase Cubase SE.

From what I understand Cubase is a good solid program to get started with, so my main concern is the quality of the hardware. Any opinions/thoughts/help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

KillRoy said:
Tascam US-122 comes with Cubase LE and Gigastudio 3 LE ---M-Audio Mobile Pre USB comes with Ableton Live 4 LE and will purchase Cubase SE.
I use a Tascam US-122 and it's built like a tank. I've had it for going on two years now and have had no problems whatsoever. It has an important feature that the MAudio doesn't - midi in and out. Even though you may not know much about midi right now it's important to equip yourself for the day when you do.

Unfortunately, the software packaged with most interfaces seems to be good only for getting familiar enough with the program that you feel the need to buy the full version. The software that came with my US-122 - at the time Cubasis and GigaStudio 2.4 - was interesting but not full-featured enough to put into full time use.

As far as audio/midi software goes, I recommend you take a look at Tracktion. You can download a demo version there, and if you like it as much as I do you can buy it here.

Back