Hard drive for recording, set up

Just for the record, I did some benchmarking with dskbench a while back, to test if partitioning made any difference.

The answer in my setup was no. It made no consequent difference whatsoever. Inner, out, middle, whatever partition, the results were within a few percent of each other.

I have seen two things that actually affects disc performance, DMA and defrag. Nothing else has made and real difference.

Has anyone seen any improvement from partitioning? I've read that it improves performance but in my setup, it wasn't the case.

/Ola

How about me ?

Hey folks, I recently bought 2 80GB hard drives but have not yet installed them. I will have a 30GB drive for OSes/ software and I will have the 2 80GB drives on raid for everything else (video/ audio production, games, storage of mp3s, movies, isos). How would you guys/ gals partition the drives if any partitions at all ?

I have to say that I have not seen any performance gains by partitioning. Sean - I conceed that in theory it makes sense to use the fastest part of the drive, but I think Slack is right in that the actual drive mech itself is rarely holding things back. At least I have never noticed a difference. Of course I am also religious about running defrag and generally keeping my systems clean.

Back in the OLD days of the FAT16 file system, it was manditory to partition large drives because the 2 gig limit, and weak cluster size limitations. But FAT32 pretty much blew that away, and for music data files a larger cluster size is a good idea anyways.

WATYF - one thing, be sure you have the latest driver for your motherboards IDE controller installed. If your motherboard is using a VIA chipset, you want the very latest VIA 4-in-1 driver. This really does make a big difference! The VIA drivers can be found at:
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Performance gains? Probably not noticeable. Simplicity, and ease for organization and time to defrag? Definitely!!!

Queue

40 Gig drive?! No one in their right mind would worry about a drive so small!! Get with the program and shell out for a decent 80g or 120g drive. Its only $1 a gig these days...

Well my opinion on the subject is that I think I figured out how all the OLD threads have recently been resurfacing.

Down at the bottom of every page is a list of "related" threads. If you don't look at the date you just might be posting on a thread 4 years old.

:)

C

Back