Handheld recorder for Vocals

aien89

Hey Guys.

I'm looking for a handheld recorder that has inbuilt mic that is better for vocals than a USB mic (at least on level with Apogee Mic 96k).

I actually don't need any external inputs, as I want to record quality vocals through the inbuilt mic. So basically cardioid would be fine.
The budget is about £250.

What do you recommend?

Thanks.

Sony has a range of portable recorders. Quality and features obviously go up with pricing. You'll have to decide which model has enough for your needs.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...s&field-keywords=sony+portable+audio+recorder

There's probably reviews and comparisons online. I only know of these because of my interest in birding, and know a few other birders who use the higher end Sonys to record song birds.

I'd probably make do with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-High-Resolution-Portable-Audio-Recorder/dp/B01NCO5PBQ

In the suggestions list below there appears to be some Tascam models as well to choose from.

Sony has a range of portable recorders. Quality and features obviously go up with pricing. You'll have to decide which model has enough for your needs.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...s&field-keywords=sony+portable+audio+recorder

There's probably reviews and comparisons online. I only know of these because of my interest in birding, and know a few other birders who use the higher end Sonys to record song birds.

I'd probably make do with something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-High-Resolution-Portable-Audio-Recorder/dp/B01NCO5PBQ

In the suggestions list below there appears to be some Tascam models as well to choose from.
Thanks. I'll look into that. I'd like to record vocals on to preloaded backing tracks, so overdubbing is necessary.

There are similar units from Zoom and Tascam as well.

I just got a Zoom H4n Pro a few weeks ago. It has built-in stereo mics, inputs for up to 2 external XLR or TRS mics/instruments, headphone output, and a stereo 3.5mm input that can be used instead of the internal mics. I use it to record my voice and output from my computer at the same time in 4CH mode. In MTR mode, you could record (or load) a stereo backing track and then go back over it and record a mono vocal track over the top of that, and be able to mix and add effects after you're done. Plus it doubles as an audio interface and an external storage unit. Pretty nifty device, albeit a little difficult to operate due to the number of features.

There are similar units from Zoom and Tascam as well.

I just got a Zoom H4n Pro a few weeks ago. It has built-in stereo mics, inputs for up to 2 external XLR or TRS mics/instruments, headphone output, and a stereo 3.5mm input that can be used instead of the internal mics. I use it to record my voice and output from my computer at the same time in 4CH mode. In MTR mode, you could record (or load) a stereo backing track and then go back over it and record a mono vocal track over the top of that, and be able to mix and add effects after you're done. Plus it doubles as an audio interface and an external storage unit. Pretty nifty device, albeit a little difficult to operate due to the number of features.
Thanks for the in depth answer. If I loaded a backing track from the SD card, how many tracks would I be able to record on top of it? Could I for example record five vocal tracks underneath the backing track and then transfer them to the pc to do comb and mixing? On the h4n pro.

Thanks for the in depth answer. If I loaded a backing track from the SD card, how many tracks would I be able to record on top of it? Could I for example record five vocal tracks underneath the backing track and then transfer them to the pc to do comb and mixing? On the h4n pro.

As far as I can tell, you'd be limited to 4 tracks total. And since the backing track would probably be stereo, that would count as 2 tracks. So you could record 2 more mono tracks on top of that.

But it does have a bounce function, so you could use the old 4-track technique of bouncing a couple of tracks down to a single track to free up a track. Then record to the free track and bounce it down with the existing ones, etc.

I think that if you want any more fancy multitrack capabilities, you're gonna be looking more at all-in-one recorders instead of hand-held recorders. Or maybe a small class-compliant audio interface and a tablet or mobile phone. Hand-held recorders are more meant for quick and dirty recording on location.

I can use the basic PCM "Voice" recorder from Oly, but what are the odds of sounding better than the Apogee converters ?

Hi Guys! I've decided to buy either h4n Pro or the H5. H5 is about $50 more expensive. Which do you recommend?
Who has the best built in mics? Or are they equal?

Back