HACKINTOSH... What's The Problem?

CapacityWKS.

I used to be a die hard, Caveman-like about it.

Purchased Mac = Good!!
Hackintosh = Bad!!!

Here's how I've changed.

If I purchase the software from apple I should be able to load it onto whatever computer I desire, no?

When I buy ingredients for a cake, can I only use those ingredients for making cakes or can I make an omelet with the left over eggs and bread for my sandwiches, from the left over flour.

(I like to cook and Bake!)

Am I wrong in this thinking?

So incredibly funny this thread came up because it's the second one in a few days on two different forums about this, RIGHT after I attempted to install one myself. And I'm not afraid to say it on the internet. :spank:

But alas, it failed.

In any case, the fact of the matter is that Apple fought a court case regarding this and sadly, Apple won. Installing a retail version of OS X on any machine other than a Mac you purchased from them is illegal. Even if you bought the OS. Very weird. Elitist pricks.

Anyway, if you're going to do it, just fuckin do it. You're not Skywalker Light and Magic, I'm sure.

Cheers :)

IaNaLb, if you aren't using it for commercial purposes, they're unlikely to catch you.

Ethically, it seems fine to me. It's your hardware, and you bought a license to use the software. Just so long as you're not infringing on Apple's ability to profit from their IP, why should they care how you use it?

Does anyone know the definitive outcome from this?

I thought they settled that it was illegal for psytar (or anyone) to sell hackintoshes, but for an end user to build one was was merely a breech of the Eula.
They tried to get around this by selling osx capable machines with the retail disc not installed, but I don't think that changed anything.

Some say breech of Eula is illegal, some say it isn't.

Idk. I just bought a mac,lol.

Having spent the better part of 4 hours the other day simply trying to transfer 8 tracks (recorded by me) from my computer to my iPhone via iTunes the other day, I cannot for the life of me see why any sane person would actively choose to buy any software (or OS) from a company as inflexible and screwy as Apple. Perhaps iTunes is okay if you want to let it take over your system and manage everything...but I'm unwilling to do that on my DAW.

I'll stick to the devil I know (Windoze), thank you very much.

I would never start a business building and selling hackintosh computers, but was thinking on the only for personal use.
I find it interesting how many people dis-like apple due to iTunes, I have never really had issues with iTunes.

I really like the mac platform as I've never had as many issues with mac as I have with windows.
I have noticed though, that once my boot drive get's to be about half full, it's starts taking longer to do processes.
So I have to regularly clean up my computer.

I'm actually thinking of building an i7 hackintosh just to see what the differences are! (thank-you tonymac!)

I tried. It's not easy, IMO. But I've got more info now so I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow.

Cheers :)

I'm with bobbsy ...... the company's policy of trying to enslave Apple users to that company is a reason I will NEVER own an Apple product.
There is absolutely nothing they do that you can't do just as easily with other, less dictatorish platforms.

I'm with bobbsy ...... the company's policy of trying to enslave Apple users to that company is a reason I will NEVER own an Apple product.
There is absolutely nothing they do that you can't do just as easily with other, less dictatorish platforms.

That's exactly how I used to think.

It still pisses me off that some simple things just aren't simple.
Why can't I drag a song off my iphone to the desktop?
Copyright reasons??I wrote and recorded the song!

Have to admit though, I tried out osx for a short while (somewhat pessimistically as someone who hates change), and almost immediately 'got it'.

Something about the workflow just felt right for me, but that's the point.
It pretty much completely comes down to preference.

That's exactly how I used to think.

It still pisses me off that some simple things just aren't simple.
Why can't I drag a song off my iphone to the desktop?
Copyright reasons??I wrote and recorded the song!

Have to admit though, I tried out osx for a short while (somewhat pessimistically as someone who hates change), and almost immediately 'got it'.

Something about the workflow just felt right for me, but that's the point.
It pretty much completely comes down to preference.
well obviously they have a great interface. Even though I've never used one I know you wouldn't have the people being fanatical about it if it wasn't very very good.

But truthfully ...... I've never run into any problems understanding or using the PC 'puters or the Windows systems so ......... meh.

To me it's just what you learn ..... 6 of 1 ... half a dozen of the other.

And the sometimes outrageous restrictions on Apple products is enough, for me, to make the decision easy.

well obviously they have a great interface. Even though I've never used one I know you wouldn't have the people being fanatical about it if it wasn't very very good.

But truthfully ...... I've never run into any problems understanding or using the PC 'puters or the Windows systems so ......... meh.

To me it's just what you learn ..... 6 of 1 ... half a dozen of the other.

And the sometimes outrageous restrictions on Apple products is enough, for me, to make the decision easy.

Can't argue with that. :)

Neither one will make someone's music better or worse, so just pick one.

Having spent the better part of 4 hours the other day simply trying to transfer 8 tracks (recorded by me) from my computer to my iPhone via iTunes the other day, I cannot for the life of me see why any sane person would actively choose to buy any software (or OS) from a company as inflexible and screwy as Apple. Perhaps iTunes is okay if you want to let it take over your system and manage everything...but I'm unwilling to do that on my DAW.

I'll stick to the devil I know (Windoze), thank you very much.

100 Agree, although I DO own a Mac - but it was given to me for free so that's a bit different.

I do have a tech friend who successfully built a Hackintosh just to see if he could do it, so yes its possible. I think he ended up not really using it and switching it back to Windows 7.

Back