guys I need urgent help - soundcard question!!

hiphopsupamix

hey guys, my Internet PC died on me on Saturday night so I'm going to buy a new one ASAP. I already have another computer strictly for music but I'd like my new Internet PC to be also decent enough to run Reason and FLStudio etc. as this would be handy for doing little touch ups to tracks before emailing them off to artists etc.

would something like the Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value for around $100AUS be fine for basic touching up of tracks like this?
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=10653

or should I get something liek an M Audio Audiophile 2496 for around $300AUS?

I need to make my decision today or tommorow so any prompt advice would be VERY helpful!!!

if the files are already captured..................

hiphopsupamix said:
hey guys, my Internet PC died on me on Saturday night so I'm going to buy a new one ASAP. I already have another computer strictly for music but I'd like my new Internet PC to be also decent enough to run Reason and FLStudio etc. as this would be handy for doing little touch ups to tracks before emailing them off to artists etc.

would something like the Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value for around $100AUS be fine for basic touching up of tracks like this?
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=10653

or should I get something liek an M Audio Audiophile 2496 for around $300AUS?

I need to make my decision today or tommorow so any prompt advice would be VERY helpful!!!

on your dedicated audio system, and you transfer them to your new system by ethernet or burn onto a cd and sneakernet it over and copy it on, you don't need any kind of sound card to manipulate it.

are you thinking of recording new stuff to add? In that case you face all the same issues of quality of signal chain you faced when you put together your dedicated audio system. mic, preamp, converters.

can you reframe your question with more specifics, otherwise all I can say is the audigy is fine for some things, not for others (big help, right?)

jon

Rstiltskin said:
on your dedicated audio system, and you transfer them to your new system by ethernet or burn onto a cd and sneakernet it over and copy it on, you don't need any kind of sound card to manipulate it.

are you thinking of recording new stuff to add? In that case you face all the same issues of quality of signal chain you faced when you put together your dedicated audio system. mic, preamp, converters.

can you reframe your question with more specifics, otherwise all I can say is the audigy is fine for some things, not for others (big help, right?)

jon

thanks for your help,

yeah I'd be doing most of teh stuff on my dedicated music computer. It would mostly only be some arrangment things and such that I would be doing on my internet PC. I wouldn't be doing any recording on that one although I might at mist add some additional samples oor some sounds from within Reason.

sounds like the SB might be fine for this?

I need some help, too.

I am setting up a computer for the sole purpose of digital recording. It will have a 160Gb hard drive and am upgrading to 1Gb RAM from 512mb. My question is concerning the soundcard. I have a SoundBlaster 64. Will that do the job for me will I have to upgrade? And if so, what would be the recommendation of you folks?

Thanks

hiphop:
I would say, since you have the song done on your DAW, and you only need the other computer for some quick touch-ups, onboard sound would do the trick. if you are stongly opposed to that, the audigy would work fine. I find it hard to believe that the audiophilie is 3 times as much as the audigy, you crazy auzies....

minofifa said:
hiphop:
I would say, since you have the song done on your DAW, and you only need the other computer for some quick touch-ups, onboard sound would do the trick. if you are stongly opposed to that, the audigy would work fine. I find it hard to believe that the audiophilie is 3 times as much as the audigy, you crazy auzies....

thanks mate! I went with the Audigy :)

Do try and find 3rd party ASIO drivers for the audigy.
That's something many people miss, even though much of the IC and converters are similar throughout most entry level/consumer sound cards, the availability of good, low-latency drivers is usually limited to cards from companies who target the pro-sumer audio market, like m-audio or echo, or even terratec.

I know for the SBLive, there was a group that wrote asio drivers which actually made the card fairly usable within Sonar and Reason, and with some luck, you'll be able to find similar drivers for your Audigy.
WDM drivers are close, latency wise, but in my research and experience, they are quite heavy on cpu overhead.

Capt. Snazzy said:
I know for the SBLive, there was a group that wrote asio drivers which actually made the card fairly usable within Sonar and Reason, and with some luck, you'll be able to find similar drivers for your Audigy.
WDM drivers are close, latency wise, but in my research and experience, they are quite heavy on cpu overhead.
I never had a problem with load on the WDM drivers on my SB Live Platinum 5.1... I was working on a song with 14 tracks (multiple plugins on each) plus several Reason synth tracks on my AMD 2100XP with 512mb RAM and never had the CPU usage hold higher than 30%.

Back