Guitar --> Audiophile

Supergoat

ok heres the deal...... im here for more help. im recording guitar through a tube MP into an audiophile sound card. i have a guitar cable thats split into 2 cables to go into the back of the card (its a hosa send and return cable) but it will only record on the left or right speaker depending on which side the red(i think) part is pluged into. i know there is nothing wrong with the cable because i returned it and got another of the same brand. is it the wrong cable??? can somone recomend one that would work???
thanks again yall
-Will

thanks...what do i do to fix it?? should i just get a single cable that goes guitar to rca and just plug it into the rca left or right?? by the way... your the man youve helped me out so much on all my threads thank you.
-will

i forgot 1 think..... i do the same thing with my mic through my PA record output and i got the same result. im not sure if it should be stereo or not... does it matter that this is all in mono?? will it make much of a difference?

the mic is mono, same as guitar...perfectly fine to go into just one of the RCA's...set your software to record from a mono source and viola.....

now once you get that track recorded, u can duplicate it or play it again to a 2nd track....maybe add some delay.....take those 2 tracks and pan them out left and right giving you stereo guitar...very common technique......

and now that im thinking about it, technically u can split your guitar signal into 2 mono ones and go into both RCA's, but it will be 2 exact tracks, not technically stereo....just make sure all of your plugs are mono plugs....

you are going thru the Art correct?....go out of that with a mono plug/cord that splits to 2 RCA's......

Gidge is right. A y-cord will have the same mono signal on each side. So you get two copies of the same thing on a stereo track, taking up twice the storage space. No reason to do that at all. Record the guitar in mono. Add effects or double tracks for more spaciousness...

(its a hosa send and return cable)

Sounds like an insert cable to me. You need a y cable. The y cable will have a 1/4' plug(TS, tip sleve) while an insert will have 1/4" TRS (Tip, ring, sleve) where the tip is sending and the ring is the return.

Yup...

Can't do that with an insert cable. The channel that's recording audio is receiving Signal & Ground, and the other channel receives no signal (sleeve) & Ground. A plain Y cable would solve that, though the best solution was listed higher in this thread. Record the signal Mono to one channel and then pan or process to stereo with plugins.

Steve

Back